Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

dodge 208....yes i searched

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by bigbadchev84, Mar 8, 2006.

1. bigbadchev84

bigbadchev84 1/2 ton status

ok as i posted in another post i am going with a 12" lift on my shortbox, i would like to go with a sye on my 208 at the same time, i have access to a dodge 208 and have searched but couldnt find a write-up, i found some pictures of exactly what i needed to do, but the words were too small to read, anyone have better pics or info? thanks

2. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

im doing this on my truck now, its a peice of cake. you do need to weld aluminum, the shift fork rod is in a different location on the dodge, so a bung has to be welded on the dodge case to match the chevy front half. other than that its a bolt together deal, unless you want to raise the fill plug and add the support brace treaded part on the front output side, then more aluminum welding is required.

as far as changing the shaft, once you get the back cover off, you pull the snap ring off the front output that holds the gear on, then pull the chain off and you can lift the entire output shaft out and drop the dodge output in.

im going to do a write up when i get mine done, which hopefully is within the next 2 weeks. just waiting on the aluminum wire and sleeve.

3. bigbadchev84

i am very seriously looking into this, so if anyone has a link or very detailed info please let me know, i do have acess to aluminum welding, a guy i work with is certified, so thats not a prob, i just need to know what is involved exactly.....thanks

4. neverendingproject

neverendingproject 1/2 ton status

Why cant you just change the output shaft and the yoke housing, and keep the chevy rear case-half?

5. big83chevy4x4

because the bolt holes for the rear out put bearing/seal retainer are clocked about 1" above the chevy. this wouldn't be a problem if the oilling galley wasn't kept in the same place. and the reason you can't use the dodge tcase and just swap the front input is the adapter holes are clocked 90* counter clockwise. you will need a special clocking ring to fit it.

6. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

So why not spend $40 and buy a clocking ring from GLO and bolt up a dodge unit:D

Ira

7. big83chevy4x4

you need a clocking ring that clocks it down, instead of up.

8. steve_kibbe

steve_kibbe 1/2 ton status

I'm not trying to aggrevate you, but I thought the clocking ring can go up or down, can it not(I've never dealt with it before, so I'm a noob here:D)

9. big83chevy4x4

the clocking ring that you normally buy from diy, glo, and other places can only go up. i have one here that was on my truck back when i had an auto. the pattern is not symetrical, there is 1 that is off.

you can run the dodge front case in a somewhat flat position if you only want to use 5 bolts, but you may wanna plug the hole in the tcase, other word it will leak.

10. steve_kibbe

Thanks, I learned something today:D

11. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

So did I:D

Ira

12. randy88k5

randy88k5 1/2 ton status

Why do you want to go to all the trouble with the 208 when its much easier to swap in a 241? They are a direct bolt in for your application, many SYEs available, better oiling system, and a little better low range.

Just my opinion though...

13. ryan22re

ryan22re 1/2 ton status

because a sye for a 241 prob cost more than swapping in a dodge 208.

14. steve_kibbe

What year dodges are we to look for?

15. ryan22re

ryan22re 1/2 ton status

as much as i hear john giving you crap about buying parts, WE (you) dont need to be looking for anything. :D

16. big83chevy4x4

i think its 80-87, but not sure on that. mine is a 84

i would have gone with a 241, but they are almost imposible to find in a 32 spline input. plus i got the dodge case for $75.

17. steve_kibbe

DAMNIT, I'm busted:haha: :haha:

oh, this was just for.........um comon knowledge...........:rolleyes:

I still want the doors btw:D

18. bigbadchev84

i have acces to a free 84 dodge 4x4 1/2ton that has a blown motor, so the guy said its got a title and if i take it away its mine for free, plus im a cheap ass and dont mind fabricating things even if its a little harder, i just need direction and some pics or detailed info.........

19. MEK5

MEK5 1/2 ton status

This is correct,rotation is different with the Dodge and the GM clocking rings that are out there dont work out. I learned this the hard way by buying the GLO ring and I even asked them if it would work on a Dodge and they said yep!!!
    I ended up making one myself with the correct rotations that came out great as shown it the picture.

I put another one together 32spline GM with the Dodge back half without any welding by putting the shift rod in a lathe and drilling and tapping the back of it for a stud.Made a small boss that supports the rod/spring and drilled a hole threw the case so the stud comes out and put a washer/nut on it. I dont have any pictures of this but I could get some if you want to see what I did.
    I also relocated the fill plug up high like the GM by just tapping the case with a pipe thread.

IMG00001.jpg

20. ryan22re

ryan22re 1/2 ton status

you make me jealous with all your pretty transfer cases.