Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

dodge/chevy 60 tech

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by yellowK20, Aug 9, 2006.

1. yellowK20

yellowK20 Well Lubricated Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I have a DRW- Chevy 60 and my buddy has a Dodge SRW 60 will or Hubs swap out??? he wants the DRW and I want the SRW would this trade work???? Also i cross referenced the bearing numbers on a ford Dana 50 IFS the Bearings are the same as a Chevrolet Dana 60 could these hubs be used on a Chevy 60 ????

2. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

dodge & chevy = good guys yes .

ford = no go bad .

3. nvrenuf

nvrenuf NONE shall pass! Premium Member

Watch out when swapping the Chevy for Dodge bearing hubs, most but not all Dodge hubs used external style locking hubs which can be undesirable. The external style of bearing hub cannot be converted to 35 spline because afaik there are still not locking hubs on the market.

Fyi, dodge used the external style up to '88 and internal from '89 to 92 (Chevy is internal). If you're not sure what he has compare locking hubs, if they mount the same your ok, if his use (8x) 3/8" bolts they are external.

The Ford D50 bearing hubs will work on a Ford D60 but not Chevy or Dodge. The snout is shorter on a Ford application.

4. hack500

hack500 1/2 ton status

it's up to '93 for the internal dodge hubs.

5. nvrenuf

:doah: thanks...

6. muddybuddy

muddybuddy 3/4 ton status

the d50 hubs rom a ford would be 8lug metric = no worky

7. nvrenuf

Earlier style TTB D50. :wink1:

8. 78Buford

78Buford 1/2 ton status

I'm certain that D50 Ford and D60 Ford stuff interchanges...One of the hubs and spindles on my truck are from an '88 F-250 D50 TTB/IFS front. Pretty sure the inner & outer wheel bearings are the same between a D50, and all three brands/applications of D60's. Not sure if the hubs themselves will interchange from a Ford to Chevy Dodge. This seems to be one of the very few times that Ford offers more interchangability than GM. I see people wanting nearly $200 per wheel hub for Chevy D60's. There are a lot of TTB D50's sitting in junkyards that are just waiting to be relieved of their lockout hubs, spindles, and hubs.

I assume the difference is due to the fact that Ford uses 11.4" stubs & GM/Dodge uses 12" stubs.

How about this: Use Ford D50 hubs or Ford D60 hubs (same thing) and run Ford 11.4" stubs axles. They are available in stock Spicer 30 spline or 4340 35 spline (don't know what application you have/need).

9. nvrenuf

Running the Ford hubs/stubs would force you to swap everything (knuckle, spindle, caliper & bracket) from the knuckle out since the spindle only has 5 studs.

10. 78Buford

78Buford 1/2 ton status

I see your point....doubt that it would be a cost effective approach.

11. nvrenuf

I learned about this the hard way, I bought an 87 Ford D60 hoping to get a huge cache of extra parts. Unfortunately, the yoke, cover, locking hubs and king pin stuff were the only easily swappable parts. :doah:

12. yellowK20

Thanks Guys the dodge in question is a 93 cummins (internal hubs ) so i'm gonna swap him :D the ford stuff is good info to have also you guys rock!!!!

13. 78Buford

78Buford 1/2 ton status

One other thing to be aware of: Pretty sure that Dodge used D61 front axles in the Cummins trucks...because they were geared 3.07, and a 3.07 ratio was never available in a D60. Most of the aftermarket D60 stuff will not work in a D61. Hate to see you end up with a 500 lb boat anchor....

14. 78Buford

78Buford 1/2 ton status

Link:

http://www.drumgod.com/predator/pics/general/DANA%2060%20Front%20Axle%20Information.htm

Here is the part of the page that you may be interested in:

What's the deal with the Dana 61?

With mileage and emissions concerns rising, at some point Dodge and / or Ford decided they wanted to be able to offer gears higher than the current highest ratio of 3.54 available in the D60. However, because of the design of the D60 the pinion head could not be made big enough to achieve a higher ratio. Hence, the birth of the Dana 61, which has a different casting that moves the pinion over 0.25"-0.437" (conflicting reports) - this allowed for a 3.07 axle ratio. The Dana 61 also uses 3.5" axle tubes. Other than that, it is very similar to the Dana 60. The Dana 61 was common in Dodge front ends and Ford van rears.

The difficulty with the Dana 61 is very limited gear and locker choices. However, you can use a combination of ring gear spacer and thick gear set to allow the use of differentials and gear sets intended for the Dana 60.

Slagburn reports: to run a 4.88 I had to go with series 3 carrier, series 1 being 4.10 and down, series 2 being 4.56 and up, then the series 3. PLUS a .160" spacer. That's the problem, nobody makes a full case locker for a 61, but it could be doable with a thick ring gearset AND a spacer.

15. nvrenuf

Excellent point... I saw that happen once with a D61 front and the matching D70 rear. :doah:

16. yellowK20

Thanks again for all the great info. were just Gonna trade hubs not complete axleshis truck has 3.55's and mine has 4.56's
    as for the Dana 61 front axles I have one of these out back Minus hubs and brake backing plates that was given to me bye one of my J@#$ buddies a few years back when he found out he couldn't get gears for it (after he plopped down 1200 bucks for it) Dishonset seller had told him it had 3.55's.
    but I was unaware you could do some trickery to get different gears I thought you were just stuck with 3.07's Again guys thanks for the great Info:bow: :bow: :bow: