Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Dodge Cummins! '98-'02!

Discussion in 'Other Rides' started by rjfguitar, Jul 18, 2004.

1. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Dodge Cummins! \'98-\'02!

I have been looking at 1998.5 to 2002 Dodge 3/4 tons with the ISB cummins. I am very interested in the amount of power that can be had and was amazed at what is available at www.dieseldynamics.com

I am also looking at lifts for them and would love to see pics of some dodge cummins equipped trucks. Also if you are running aftermarket parts for power tell me what they are and if it made a big difference or not.

I have been tossing the idea around with getting one with the sport package and adding:
    Edge juice programmer 50-120HP, up to 350 ft lbs
    Flowmaster 4" exhaust
    K&N filter
    injector kit(maybe)

That would put me around 400-425HP and 800+ ft lbs. /forums/images/graemlins/bow.gif

Next question is how well would the stock auto hold up and what mods could I do to make it last? Should I just look for a 5spd nv4500? How much power can the stock clutch handle before slipping?

2. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

Re: Dodge Cummins! \'98-\'02!

I don't know about what mods to do but I know this, neither a stock clutch nor a stock auto will hold up to that power. My friend has a 300 horse 12V Cummins pickup with an NV4500. I'm pretty certain he has the strongest clutch he can get without upgrading to a larger input shaft(gets to a point where the clutch grabs too well), and his HAS slipped under tractor pull conditions. As for the autos, Dodge autos are notoriouslly weak. A friend has an 00 cummins and his trans is hurting, all he has is an exhaust and a heavy foot.

3. rjfguitar

[ QUOTE ]
    I don't know about what mods to do but I know this, neither a stock clutch nor a stock auto will hold up to that power. My friend has a 300 horse 12V Cummins pickup with an NV4500. I'm pretty certain he has the strongest clutch he can get without upgrading to a larger input shaft(gets to a point where the clutch grabs too well), and his HAS slipped under tractor pull conditions. As for the autos, Dodge autos are notoriouslly weak. A friend has an 00 cummins and his trans is hurting, all he has is an exhaust and a heavy foot.

[/ QUOTE ]
    Yeah, the tranny deal has me bothered but I know that the auto can be beefed way up to hold 700+HP and 1600+ ft lbs because they run strictly autos behind the cummins in the DHRA. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif One thing about the power numbers I listed above is that is with the programmer at level 5(max power) and I would probably drive around most of the time at level 1 (stock) or maybe 2. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

4. rjfguitar

Looks like Skyjacker makes the best lift for the HD dodges.
    /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

5. K5MONSTERCHEV

K5MONSTERCHEV 1/2 ton status

Are you gestimating flywheel output? Not rear wheel readings. Seem like your a Cummins guy. Banks has actual test results. With their power bundle, all the intake upgrades, exhaust, 6 gun and speed loader, etc. the Cummins and the Power Stroke all have over 600 ft/lbs, while the Durmax has over 800 ft/lbs.

Im not trying to blow out your candle but I dont think your going to have as much power as you think. Add some propane injection, then yeah.

As far as your tranny question, we had a dodge 3500 cab and a half dooley, at work that ran mid 13s. Not exactly sure what he had, I know he had all the banks upgrades, except for the speed loader and 6 gun. Had the boost at like 30 lbs, he dragged it and did sled pulls. It was FAST!! He snapped the input shaft on the 4500. Other then that it was fine.

Another guy I know with a hopped up cummins has the 5600, its lifted prety big with 42s, tons of broken things, the whole truck is beat pretty good, but the trannys fine! No problems yet.

I would think the stock tranny would need to be upgraded, just like most others do.

6. rjfguitar

The cummins with an Edge comp box should be enough for me. I have driven a stock '99 and was pretty much satisfied with it's get up and go.

As far as the tranny, I was told by a guy that owns a turbo shop that is a dealer for cummins products that in his '02 HO 5600 the clutch will slip at level 4&5 on the edge box, the rest of the motor is stock besides exhaust and intake filter.

I am very picky about the truck I want....which is a a red quad cab short bed with the sport front end and black leather interior. If I actually find one with everything I want I will take it with either tranny. Infact I almost prefer the auto and just fork out the $5k for a built 47RE from ATS or DTT and be done with it. Hard to drive with a manual and talk on the phone or write something down.

7. hi pinion

hi pinion 3/4 ton status

deisels rock /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

8. K5MONSTERCHEV

Oh, the truck with the 4500 had a dual disc McCloud clutch, dont know about the one with the 5600.

Sounds like you just want a truck some oomph, not gonna race it and all that jazz.

Oh, what up with the dodge questions on a chevy forum? /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

9. rjfguitar

[ QUOTE ]
    Oh, the truck with the 4500 had a dual disc McCloud clutch, dont know about the one with the 5600.

Sounds like you just want a truck some oomph, not gonna race it and all that jazz.

Oh, what up with the dodge questions on a chevy forum? /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
    That would be an aftermarket clutch then, right?

Exactly, looking for a RELIABLE Dodge CTD with basically a little extra umph for driving around and towing and a decent umph to blow a little smoke and for pulling, if that makes any sense. /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif Basically what the Edge juice offers... Stock to moderate to wild.

Technically this is any other rides and most of the guys here with tow rigs have CTD's. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

On another note, I test drove an '03 CTD 6 spd and I didn't like it. The 6 spd is too slow because to much time is wasted shifting and the ctd can't wind up like a gasser so you can't stay in one gear for long. Also drove an '01 auto and I liked it much better, I am going for an auto and if I wind up paying $5k for a new 47RE from ATS then so be it. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

10. K5MONSTERCHEV

Yes it was aftermarket.

I had the option of putting a 4500 or 5600 in my blazer, I went with the 4500. The thing with the 5600 is instead of having double OD, like cars with 6 speeds, it has a lower low gear, witch I think is dumb. Thats why its no fun to shift, plus I dont know how much turbo lag the 04 cummins has. I know what you mean though. Im a manual guy, and manuals are cool, but autos are a little better in the diesels.

Hey, even though you dont want it a HARDCORE racer, whenever you get your Cummins, and I hopefully get a Duramax, lets race em! HAHA! /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

11. rjfguitar

IIRC the 5600 just has an extra gear thrown in the middle to help keep the ratios a little closer together. First is slightly lower and OD is a little higher than the 4500. Turbo lag wasn't bad but shifting 4 times (2-6) was annoying is stop and go traffic plus I kept redlining the cummins because I was used to gas manuals and having some RPM there if need be. /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif It was just too slow for me from the lack of enough RPM's and spending so much time off the throttle shifting, the auto could blow around it.

12. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

Just me, but my first gear in my NV4500 is just about useless- Unless im acutally hauling something heavier than 5000 lbs. I have the first generation GM implementation of the NV4500 with the 6ish to 1 first gear. Pretty useless, but acutally I do use it when just idling in stop and go traffic. I just put it there, go slow, and set the pace for all the cars behind me. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif
    There is a big gap between the third and forth gear- Enough where you really want to rev it a little higher in third, before shifting into 4th, there is that bog.

13. K5MONSTERCHEV

I have heard the same complant about 3rd and 4th being to wide from customers. I dont really notice it.

14. rjfguitar

I don't really notice the big step between 3rd and 4th either in my 98 dually but thats probably because it's got a vortec 454. I am wondering if my '87 Ford f600 service truck has an NV4500 because it's a 5 spd and the jump to 4th is just nasty and the weiny ford SB370 hates it trying to drag around 10.5K and thats with no trailer. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Did ford use the NV4500 too?

15. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

Its not that its terrible- Its just you should notice even on your tach that the RPM has dropped lower than say, from second to third.

As for the same as on your ford, I dont think the ford used the NV4500 tranny, I think it was a Dodge and GM thing.

I also think that somewhere they decided that third to forth was ok for a greater span, since 4th is 1:1, and wont bog too badly since your moving pretty fast already.

So anyone have any thoughts about towing in Overdrive on this tranny? Strength issues?

16. rjfguitar

[ QUOTE ]

So anyone have any thoughts about towing in Overdrive on this tranny? Strength issues?

[/ QUOTE ]I am pretty sure you can pull whatever you want in 5th gear. I thought almost all manuals were capable of towing in OD.

17. K5MONSTERCHEV

Ford has the ZF, a freakin' huge tranny.

As far as towing, 5th gear is very weak, because the nut is known to come loose. There is a 5th gear upgrake kit. I think if you were crusing on the flat, towing, it MIGHT be ok, but you really should put a lot of load on it.

18. rjfguitar

[ QUOTE ]

As far as towing, 5th gear is very weak, because the nut is known to come loose. There is a 5th gear upgrake kit. I think if you were crusing on the flat, towing, it MIGHT be ok, but you really should put a lot of load on it.

[/ QUOTE ]Really? I thought all 5 gears were basically the same strength, I thought that was the benifet of a manual. /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif /forums/images/graemlins/screwy.gif

19. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Ford has the ZF, a freakin' huge tranny.

As far as towing, 5th gear is very weak, because the nut I think if you were crusing on the flat, towing, it MIGHT be ok, but you really should put a lot of load on it.

[/ QUOTE ]is known to come loose. There is a 5th gear upgrake kit.

I heard the nut comming loose was a dodge only issue?

Not that I really have enough torque to sheer anything in 5th anyways- Even after a turbo upgrade, I wouldnt be pushing more than 400ft lbs.

20. K5MONSTERCHEV

Well I havent done one in a while but the Dodge and Chevy both have the 5th gear held on the same, from what I remember, the upgrade was a nut, with like a screw in it to clamp it really tight.