Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

dodge d-60 under chevy?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by SICNICK, Oct 14, 2006.

1. SICNICK

SICNICK Registered Member

I found a sweet deal on a 1976 dodge w300, will this d-60 go under my 82 3/4 ton chevy that currently has a 10 bolt:eek1: ? Thanks!!:bow:

2. 1977k5

1977k5 3/4 ton status Vendor

The spring perches are a different width. Some people just force their springs to work with the different width. The right way to do it is to move the perches (though on Chevy 60's the passenger perch is essentially immovable).

3. SICNICK

qwell i found some info...on pirate of all places:wink1: ...and it says the DRW dodge D60 is 6 inches wider than the chevy... That aint gonna work:doah:

4. 1977k5

1977k5 3/4 ton status Vendor

It says it is 6" wider because its a dually front end. That has nothing to do with the spring perch width.

5. b454rat

b454rat 1/2 ton status Premium Member

The difference is a 1/4" per side, inless you have stock springs. Shock mounts are a wee difference, steering I think is too. I put one in my 89 so I could move it around, but didn't hook anything up other than the steering which was crossover. If you can get it for a good price, then get it and make it work.

6. Jimbo*

Jimbo* 1/2 ton status

It's really no big deal, I've got one going under one of my burbs'. I simply cut the driver side spring perch off, and moved it out 1/2 inch. This puts the perches inline with the factory springs and mounts. Then I added a 1/2 inch wheel spacer to the driver's side, and everything matches up evenly now.
    Yes, shock mounts are different, but no real obstacle.
    My truck is getting crossover steering.
    Hope this helps.
    Jimbo

7. Chaddy

Chaddy 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

What about the passenger side tube thats a couple inches shorter than a chevy?

8. FOR MUD

FOR MUD 1/2 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

The brake calipers are different too.The brake line drops in the center and runs out to both sides where short [3"-4"] hoses hook to the calipers . Also the mounting plates have a different bolt pattern than Chevys

9. SICNICK

I understand that, but isnt it gonna look silly with the front of the truck 3" wider on each side???:eek1:

10. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

Uh you convert it to SRW and then it is the same size and has Chevy outers:rolleyes:. A GM DRW 60 is about 10" wider than a SRW

Ira

11. SICNICK

so then I would need Chevy srw dana 60 outers?

12. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

You can turn down your DRW hubs to make SRW hubs or you can buy new hubs for SRW and they will swap out. Dodge and GM use the same length outershaft and spindle.

http://www.pirate4x4.com/tech/billavista/60_front/index.html

This article will tell you anything you need to know on converting from DRW to SRW.

Ira

13. primerk5

primerk5 1/2 ton status

[​IMG]Ive got one under my 79 truck. It used to be under my Blazer Which I'll probably post some pics showing it. I have a 14 bolt ff in the rear . Just used a pry bar from the frame to my spring to pull it to the dodge perch. Each pearch is 1/2 inch to the center of the truck. This rear non dually is actually narrower than the Chevys. Which if in your state you have to run flares for over extended tires will be quite conveinent because it sets the tires perfectly inline with the rear tires if not narrower.

[​IMG]

[img[​IMG]
    Sorry I don't have any good pics of the springs being pulled toward the inside of the frame.
    But I forgot to also mention. If you take the Stock Dodge steering arm off the rear and have the hole it machined bigger to the GM draglink/tierodend size (the bolt in peice) you can use it and for a 4 to six in lift you won't have to buy a raised sterring arm for the axle to run the stock drag link. The dodge is raised unlike the normal GM which drops closer to the axle You'll also have to use the Dodge ubolt plates Atleast for the passenger side due to the Dodge 60 has narrower studs than a chevrolet 60. I used Dodge calipers. It seems as if the Chevrolet calipers are the same any how. I just bolted my brakelines up. Dodge uses one single rubber hose down to the axle and it splits on the rear to each side. Just like a chevrolet back rear. Hope this helps.

14. chevyguybc

chevyguybc 1/2 ton status

cant you just drill out the holes on your perchs 1/4 inch then weld it back up and smooth it out, this is what i would do