Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

dodge d 60 weight and question

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by unick, May 7, 2004.

1. unick

unick 1/2 ton status

How much would a set of D60's out of a 79 Dodge pickup weigh? And what years did they use the Dana 61? Also why should I stay away from a D61?

lmk
    Nick

2. tarussell

tarussell 1/2 ton status

The front Dana 60 will be a butt-load heavier than the rear Dana 60 ! Just a guess but I think a front 60 weighs in at 600 lbs. or so ????
    To the best of my knowledge Dodge used a Dana model 61 in the front of the first Gen Cummins trucks before the O.D. tranny's became available - so I think that they used them from 1989 to the early ninety's .
    A Dana 61 is not a bad axle if you do not plan on changing to a steep gear . The only bad thing about them is that they are limited in gear ratio choices no matter what carrier is used.
    HTH , Tom

3. atho

atho 1/2 ton status

I believe the front dana 60 weighs a little over 500 pounds fully dressed. I have a dana 60 from a '78 dodge, and it has ghey external drive flanges.
    the dana 61 front was not available in the 70s at all, so no need to be worried. even then, its not THAT bad.

4. unick

unick 1/2 ton status

whats up with the drive flanges??

5. tarussell

tarussell 1/2 ton status

Drive flanges are not a bad thing ( they are actually VERY strong ) but the front end is working all of the time if they are used. Dodge Dana 60's of that era used an external style wheel hub and you will be limited on what kind of manual locking hub that is available if you don't want a full-time drive flange on your axle.
    Tom