Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Dodge d44 flat top

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 85mudblazin, Jul 14, 2005.

1. 85mudblazin

85mudblazin 1/2 ton status

So I screwed up and bought a Dodge d44 flat top knuckle and not a chevy. There are some threaded bosses next to the spindal mounting surface that dodge used to mount there style calipers. The steering stop is alos located different. My question is, is it still usable?? anyone using a dodge knuckle??
    Here are some pics of it.
    Knuckle
    Thanks
    -Chris

2. ColAdo82K5

ColAdo82K5 1/2 ton status

Have I used dodge knuckles ? No.
    Have I used chevy drum brake knuckles by accident ? Yes.
    Assuming you have measured that the spindle fits onto that knuckle and that the spindle surface is very very close to that of a chevy knuckle for shaft length...

My thoughts are this:
    Just make sure the steering stop does what it is supposed to and that should be fine.
    The threaded bosses might get slightly in the way of the backing plate: if they do...grind them down. Plug them with a solid plug if you are worried about strength.
    They only worry I would have is how the tie rod connects. Is it tie rod end on top...or tie rod end on bottom. Find a matching dodge knuckle or another vintage chevy knuckle if it is wrong.

Blake