Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Dodge D60

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by highrlr, Apr 20, 2005.

1. highrlr

highrlr 1/2 ton status

I found a guy with a '79 dodge 1ton dually 4x4 for sale in my area and his ad says he will part it out so im thinking of buying the D60 front from him. I read a thread a while back talking about using a dodge 60 and if I remember right the spring pads on the the dodge axle were 1/2" wider than the GM axle so you would hafta space your springs 1/4" out on both sides. How would a guy go about doing this? Im thinking on the shackle end to just put a 1/4" think "washer" between the inside shackle and the spring but how do you space the front? Maybe remove the spring mount from the frame and put a 1/4" piece of steel between the frame and mount? Another thing I was wondering about was the steering, would any of the dodge steering work with the the GM setup? And how much should I expect to pay for this axle?

2. sapper

sapper 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

The spring pads are closer than that, when i put my dodge 60 in they fit with no problem, you "should" be good to go

3. highrlr

highrlr 1/2 ton status

That would be awesome if thats how it is, I heard if you "stretch the springs to fit though that you kill your flex and ride? How about the steering?
    anyone else have any info for me?
    Thanks

4. az-k5

az-k5 1/2 ton status

Type in "dodge dana 60" in search with my username and you will find a dozen posts on what exaclty needs to be done.

5. highrlr

highrlr 1/2 ton status

Thanks az-k5, I tried Dodge dana 60 and Dodge d60 as searches an it didnt really come up with anything. I did find some post pertaining to this subject though and i think i found pretty much everything i need to know. Thanks

6. highrlr

highrlr 1/2 ton status

Ok, one more thing i guess. How much is a '79 Dodge Dana 60 worth? The guy that has this one is asking $900 for it, its not rebuilt or anything and he's not even sure of what gears it has in it. Is it worth this much? I know a GM 60 would be but i thought the Dodges went for a lot less???

7. sapper

sapper 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

The prices are about the same, i would think a dodge 60 would be more because it matchs the rear for width