Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Dodge Dana 44 front swap questions.

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by BozoWise, May 7, 2002.

1. BozoWise

BozoWise 1/2 ton status

I found a matching D44 and D60 rear from a dodge power wagon. Has anyone swaped in the D44 front into ride? What all did you have to change?

This D44 is a fulltime unit and I would like to add manuel locking hubs. Is that a do-able deal? I was wondering if I could just get a set of D44 locking hubs and bolt them on. At the current time noting is sticking out from the center of the wheel and I haven't removed the wheels to look at what kind of setup is under there but I know that the axel is a fulltime unit currently.

2. POWERMAD

POWERMAD 1/2 ton status

Run away from that one.
    Even if it was free and delivered I would not have it.
    i had the chance at the same set up and after a bit af research it is a waste of time.
    3/4 ton axles from a GM rig are a direct bolt in and none of thet BS with the front axle.

3. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

dodge power wagon? Is it a closed knuckle or drum brake front? If so, it's a POS. Chevy D44s can be had all the time for around $300 and a direct swap. I'd hold out for one of those. Now dodge D60 fronts on the other hand...I'd be happy as heck with one of those!

4. BozoWise

BozoWise 1/2 ton status

disk brake front

5. gmule

gmule 1/2 ton status

I jsut did this conversion for my Ramcharger it was a pain and if I could have found the parts I would have used the dodge parts it would have saved me a few headaches.
    If you really want to make it work you will need to swap all of the parts from the knuckls out. One thing to keep in mind if you do this the dodge axel is a little narrower so the chevy tierod will be to long and the dodge tierod has smaller ends on it the steering arms are also different the dodge drag link is tapered from the bottom up and the chevy from the bottom down you will also need the chevy brake hoses because the dodge ones will be to short you will also need to change out the stubs on the axel shafts. the whole shaft wont interchange because the short side on the GM version is longer than the short side of the dodge and the long side of the GM is shorterthat than the long side of the dodge. It is do able but I would hold out for the chevy dana 44. one other thing chevy brake parts are about half of what it is for the chevy

6. BozoWise

BozoWise 1/2 ton status

Thanks for the info I once again am searching for chevy axels.