Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Dodge Dana 60 Front Axle

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by SmokinLB7, Mar 26, 2007.

1. SmokinLB7

SmokinLB7 1/2 ton status

So I am looking at getting a Dana 60 from this guy. Good deal. However, its off of a 98 Dodge ram. So how hard is it to get the axle ready for use on my 84 K5 Blazer? I am guessing i will have to cut off the dodge spring mounts and then weld on the spring perches? But is there going to be anything i will run into? Is doing this going to be hard?
    Thanks in advance
    Zach

2. broncoman6524

broncoman6524 1/2 ton status

make sure its pass side drop if my mind is correct it is. but youll have to change like you said spring perches..but also the shock tabs too.

3. mofugly13

mofugly13 1 ton bucket of rust Premium Member

You're talkin' front D60? If so, one of the perches is cast integral with the pumpkin. So, no cutting and welding. I put a D60F from a 92 or 93 Dodge on my K5, the perches are 1/2" wider than a Chevy 60. No biggie, that means you need to push your springs outboard only 1/4" on each side. Others have bought "offset bushings" to move each spring 1/4". AZkickin offroad used to have them I think, but they're not around anymore. Bottom line is, it WILL bolt in, but you may have to change the pinion yoke and steering arm to chevy style.

4. b454rat

b454rat 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I hope he paid you to take it away. A Dana 60 front from a 98 Dodge will be pass drop, no spring perch cast into the housing, but it has CAD, balljoints, and unit bearings, all of which are prone to breaking or replacing exspensive parts.

5. mofugly13

mofugly13 1 ton bucket of rust Premium Member

Ahhh, if this be true, disregard my post....

6. SmokinLB7

SmokinLB7 1/2 ton status

I didnt get it because it was a driver side drop anyways. But your saying dont get a dodge Dana 60 for the future?

Thanks
    Zach

7. b454rat

b454rat 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Not saying don't get a Dodge D60, just not from 94 and newer. The older ones are basically the same as a GM for the most part.

8. OL14BLAZ

OL14BLAZ 1/2 ton status

Get one from a 90-93 Dodge truck, they have the internal style bearing hubs like the GMs. Biggest difference like already mentioned is the spring pad width. There are also some other differences as well, like inner axle shaft is different length, brake like splits in the middle of the axle, the bolt patteren for the diff spring perch is different (GM spring plates won't work) and the 2 studs at the diff spring perch are different size.

9. Disciples Performance

Disciples Performance 1/2 ton status

its do able just kinda expensive also some of them had vaccum disconnect so make sure that one does not have that!!! or else you will have to remove that feature which is not fun!

10. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

I've got both Dodges and Chevy 60's underneith their trucks. It would be very hard to make my Ram's 60 work underneith my K30, since they drop on different sides.

The newer Dodge 60's are fine, for what application they are designed for. CAD (central axle disconnect) could be a mess underneith a Chevy (unless you were innovative to make the system work in the Chevy like it does in a Dodge), but works great in my Ram as I never have to mess with hubs, have better looking front center caps, and still don't have a turning front driveshaft when I'm in 2wd.

Ball joints are a downside to the king pins, but I've never had a problem, even with the bulky weight of a Cummins sitting on top of said D60.

Unit bearings suck, they are expensive and too close together...but, same goes there for me too...no problems with them either.

Infact, the only problems I've had with any of my 60's are the Spicer hubs on my Chevy 60.