Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Dodge dana 60 into a K5...

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by az-k5, Feb 8, 2004.

1. az-k5

az-k5 1/2 ton status

Okay. I have a lead on a leaf sprung dodge dana 60 srw. I have a couple of concers about swapping it into my K5. I know that dodge pads are a half inch off, that doesn't bother me. How do the brakes hook up? What about the pinion yoke? What is the width (wms-wms) difference between a 3/4 ton GM D44? Are there any other concerns I should have or parts I need? I am pulling the axle myself out of a parts truck so I will scavenge anything that bolts to it.

I know a few of you guys have this set up right now, so please speak up. The whole search function is kinda hard to narrow down well and I am looking all over for info.
    All help is a big help, and thanx /forums/images/graemlins/bow.gif

2. Stomper

Stomper ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ GMOTM Winner

The WMS will be 2" narrower than a chevy d60

Get the BOM numbers to make sure it is not a D61 before you buy it. /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

3. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

Winding down from a long day of yardwork so I did a search for you. There is a long write up on all d60's including the answer to your question. The wms on front dodge d60 is 67.5" and drw trucks had wms of 75.5" Now I never hang out there but here is the url http://www.pirate4x4.com/tech/billavista/60_front/index.html
    Hope it helped

4. Rebel88

Rebel88 1/2 ton status

pm Mudhog...hes got one in his K5

Later

5. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

you will need a chevy yoke and steering arm you will also need the dodge spring plates the brakes i used extended brake lines for a dana 44 any other questions feel free to ask away /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. az-k5

az-k5 1/2 ton status

Okay, so I need a new yoke. I have steel braided lines for the brakes so those should work fine. I have read that the dodge arm sits higher on the axle and if you are lifted you can keep it. If not I'll be doing x-over sooner than I thought.
    Thanx for the help everyone.

7. Silver84k5

Silver84k5 1/2 ton status

we put the dodge 60 arm on a Chev 60, instead of using the 4 inch raised steering block. So yes you can use the dodge arm if you want. When buying the yoke for the pinion, look around and get a 1350 yoke. then get a 1350 yoke put on your driveline. so you can run the 1350 joint.

8. GMC

GMC 1/2 ton status

I just got through swapping in a Dodge Dana 60 in to my 81' Blazer relpacing the D44. The front driveshaft bolted right up, we had to modify the brakeline ends a little to bolt them up and we used the steering arm that was on the D60 and the draglink from the D44 set-up. I was suprised how everything bolted right up.

9. gmule

gmule 1/2 ton status

I think you should send it to me. It is just wrong to put Dodge parts on a Chevy. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

10. az-k5

az-k5 1/2 ton status

Ya I agree putting dodge parts in is wrong. I will send you my dodge D60 and you can send me your GM D60 so it will be right /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

On a more serious note, I am gonna use the draglink I have now, the dodge arm, my steel braided lines, a prybar on the springs, and I have the ability to blow up my front CV correct?
    Thanx all.