Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Dodge Dana 60, not fit correct, or will it?!!?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by four_by_ken, Dec 9, 2001.

1. four_by_ken

four_by_ken 1/2 ton status

I understand it will bolt up, but will it be offset to one side by about 3 inches? Is this true?

Thanks,
    Ken H.

'86 K5 up and coming
    14 bolt(Detroited),10 bolt,39.5 Boggers rear,
    TSLs front, 468 BBC, 350 trans, 205 transfer
    Rust free in Michigan!

2. RedDwarf

RedDwarf 1/2 ton status

77 Chev can tell you everything you need to know about this swap

3. michaelm

michaelm 1/2 ton status

No, that isn’t true.

The Dodge axle has the spring perch centre to centre distance something like ½” to 1” wider
    And
    The wheel mount to wheel mount is 1 ½” to 2” narrower.
    I cant remember the exact numbers as it has been 7 years since I had the difs done
    I was also told that the dodge 60 has the tie rod mounted much higher then the chev version. I need to see a chev knuckle with a square on the top surface to compare with my knuckle
    I have taken a few pics of it for comparison

<a target="_blank" href=http://wsphotofews.excite.com/026/cC/Ko/8b/4s16428.jpg>http://wsphotofews.excite.com/026/cC/Ko/8b/4s16428.jpg</a>

all the pics are in my webshots albums, most are under 'Dana'
    I cant remember which one but only 1 shaft is apparently different then the chev version

4. RGF

RGF 1/2 ton status

I put a Dodge D-60 front in my yard truck (85 1ton Chev) not to long ago because I got it cheap and the GM D-60 was worth some $$$. The Dodge spring pad width was 1" wider and the WM to WM was 67", GM is 69", not much you can do about the cast in pad so I just moved the other pad 1" which changed the off-set but its just a yard truck.It would be much easier to put a GM60 in a Dodge!
    Theres also some brake hook-up issues to deal with, my truck is using the stock 3" wide front springs but heres a thought, all the lift springs are 2 1/2" wide and the spring hangers are 3 1/2" the bushings that come with them are extra wide to make up the difference.Turn your bushings down so they are 3" over all width and space the springs out a 1/2" on both sides using a thick washer or something that is the same od as the bushing.

RGF

5. CST-30

CST-30 Registered Member

The dodge axle will bolt right in,you will have to fabricate some shock mounts and you will want to get 9/16" wheel studs for a chevy d60 to replace the dodge 1/2" studs, as far as the steering arm if you are using at least a 4" lift it will work much better than a chevy arm, just weld up the tie rod hole and have it retapered from the opposit side for a chevy rod end, the pics in this allbum are actually a chevy d60 with dodge wheel hubs and steering arm.
    http://community.webshots.com/album/26808621LQvxjvCMwu

72 K-5 cst blazer 2 1/2 lift 33" bfg's
    69 custom 30 longstepside 4x4 6" lift 36" directionals
    87 K-5 stock&lt;P ID="edit"&gt;&lt;FONT class="small"&gt;&lt;EM&gt;Edited by CST-30 on 12/09/01 10:09 PM.&lt;/EM&gt;&lt;/FONT&gt;&lt;/P&gt;<P ID="edit"><FONT class="small">Edited by CST-30 on 12/09/01 10:15 PM.</FONT></P>

6. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

Is 1/2" really that big a deal on each side for the pads? I mean the springs will pull out some, and just bolt them down right? Now on the other, will the 67" WMS actually match up better with the rearend?

Sherman, Tx
    <font color=red>The blazer's almost on the road....anyone got tree fiddy?</font color=red>

7. michaelm

michaelm 1/2 ton status

are those stock chev version brake rotors?
    I had the cast pad machined and the dif cut n turned

8. four_by_ken

77 Chev...

So, If I just move the driver perch over an inch or half, what ever it may be, the perches will line up? This will not offset the axle either way correct? Since the cast perch is going to stay in the same spot.

Are the perches wider than Chevy ones? If they are, I will be moving the driver side perch anyways, so I can just put a new Chevy perch in its place. But, what to do with the passenger perch?

I can only get to one picture in that link you sent. Just a knuckle.

Thanks a lot!!

Ken H.

'86 K5 up and coming
    Rust free in Michigan!

9. michaelm

michaelm 1/2 ton status

i had the shop machine the cast perch to move it in board at the same time they were cutting it to the new angle required to turn the pinion up.
    if you move only one perch it would offcenter the axle.
    *the shaft lengths are what i was refering to on parts interchange. doesnt effect perch centre.*

the offset bushing idea that was mentioned in this thread is something that I also think is the best route to go with if you are not machining for pinion angle as part of your install.
    my case it was being cut up anyway so it added nothing to the job.

i just got an email from Webshots about the exite@home bankruptcy affecting all the accounts. not sure how long it will be up but here is my community page
    <a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/user/ausername11>http://community.webshots.com/user/ausername11</a>

10. four_by_ken

How far off center will this put the axle? Only about an inch...

Dont know if I want that.

Ken H.

'86 K5 up and coming
    Rust free in Michigan!

11. michaelm

michaelm 1/2 ton status

if you offset the DS and PS bushings each a 1/2 inch to the outside. your axle will be centred under the truck with zero machining.

if you are machining it for pinion angle, cut the perches to where the chev wants them.

I know several people who just use a hilift to spread the springs and stuff it under but i wouldnt/didnt do it that way.

12. Leadfoot

Leadfoot 1/2 ton status Premium Member

How much are you rotating the perches? Too much and you will have no Caster left. If it's just a little you should be fine, but if you need to go with alot (which sometimes isn't much) of rotation, you would be better off rotating the knuckles or tubes (as well as adjusting the perches). It won't be hurting the axle, but you may not get that return to center steering wheel you are used to and the front-end may tend to "wander" a little. Just a thought.

See my rig at <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/Leadfoot> click here </a>

13. michaelm

michaelm 1/2 ton status

mine was turned a hell of a lot, and the knuckles were turned to correct the caster, and the spring pads moved to the chev width, and custom shock mounts added.
    with the wide swampers i used to run the narrower track width was a plus as the tires didnt stick out so far and required only a rubber lip to extend fenders to be legal.
    I had previously ran different off set wheels to get the rear track same as front, so that was another plus

14. blazen91

blazen91 1/2 ton status

Just a thought; couldn't you redrill a new hole in the dif perch to center the axle? If the perches are 1" narrower, why not drill a hole 1/2" out and move and weld the other perch 1/2" out?

Once again, I don't know, I am just asking.

<font color=red>....But I thought that sound was normal....!</font color=red>

15. michaelm

michaelm 1/2 ton status

perches are WIDER and the studs are too close to move with out some work. you could look toward using custom u bolt to replace the studs

16. blazen91

blazen91 1/2 ton status

Never mind, I looked at the pics of a D60 and remembered that the spring bolts to the diff, instead of using a u-bolt. I think you could still do it, but would have to weld up all the holes and mechine it perch. Then drill and tap new holes.

<font color=red>....But I thought that sound was normal....!</font color=red>

17. Leadfoot

Leadfoot 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Sounds like you went to town on that axle! I like to see that. I had a few friends with lifts try rotating the housing without rotating the knuckles or tubes and they hated the steering characteristics (sounds like you avoided that mistake).

See my rig at <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/Leadfoot> click here </a>

18. four_by_ken

Foget it, I will just get a Chevy. Which I am about 90% sure I just got my greedy little hands on one.

Ken H.

'86 K5 up and coming
    Rust free in Michigan!

19. michaelm

michaelm 1/2 ton status

that is the best way

20. LA Bogger

LA Bogger 1/2 ton status

I've been running a dodge 60 for about 2 years, didn't move anything and removed the center brake system that come on dodges and used a 1986 1 ton brake lines and tappered the tie rod hole. Doesn't wander no problems and only $300.00. This K-5 is a daily driver...

60/14 9" lift and 39.5 TSL

Eat More Mud!!