Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

dodge dana 60 question

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by chevy_tuff, May 10, 2005.

1. chevy_tuff

chevy_tuff Registered Member

hey i just bought a dana 60 for the front of my 73 blazer off a buddy for 100 bucks, i took all the measurements and everything should line up, springs, etc, i was just curious if anyone has used a dana 60 off a dodge, or if it is possible to use on my chev

2. chevy_tuff

sorry, ill clear things up its a dana 60 off a 92 dodge and i was wondering if itll work on my blazer

3. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

Yes it will work

4. fwdjunky

fwdjunky 1/2 ton status

i hate you.

Good score man! I need buddies like that.

5. chevy_tuff

haha yah, it is, only one thing, theres no steering knuckles, brakes, tie rod, hubs, etc. u thing thats gonna cost alot to finish or what? all it is is the housing, with a posi 4:10 diff and the axle shafts

6. chevy_tuff

can i swap it over to ball joints, and chevy knuckles? will the 8 bolt rims be the same as chev rims?

7. Silver84k5

Silver84k5 1/2 ton status

this has been covered umpteen times.. i bet 2 minutes of searching and you woulda found 10 threads explaining it but, since im already typing....

Space your leaf springs out 1/4" on each side, with off set bushings, I used steel spacers on one side, and ground down the bushing on the other side. seems to work ok..

Hopefully you got the dodge spring plates from him, otherwise you need some of those.

You will need a new Yoke on the pinion... Order a chevy d60 pinon 1350 joint syle.

8 lug wheels are the same as chev, You might want to weld on some different shock mounts, The shock mounts on my dodge d60 are retarded and will soon be gone. Brakes work fine, i think... I had some stainless steel ones made, but if memory serves me i think they both work together (chev/dodge)

thats all that comes to mind right now... its been a few years since ive went through it.. All i can say is.. DONT SPREAD THE SPRINGS, to match the spring pads on the axle. itll flex and ride like Ass.

8. Silver84k5

Silver84k5 1/2 ton status

swap it over to ball joints? why would you do that?...

9. az-k5

az-k5 1/2 ton status

no, and then yes in that order.

There is no sane reason to switch over to ball joints on a GM or Dodge D60. The knuckles, spindles, calipers, stubs, u-joints, gears, lockers, king pins, bearings, and hubs are the same for a dodge or a chevy. A core axle needs a lot of parts. I would reccomend adding it all up just to see where you are.

Just a quick run down

2x inner bearings
    2x outer bearings
    2x spindles
    2x hubs
    2x locking hubs
    2x knuckles
    2x knig pins ribuild kits
    2x rotors
    2x calipers
    1x steering arm

This is just the big stuff I can think of off hand,

10. megahillbilly

megahillbilly Registered Member

dana 60

I dont konw if he realy got that good of a bargen,it bein stripped and all,yeep factory locker and 4:10s a good start for a 100 buck's.yer still lokin at a grand or more to complete it.I think I'd keep lookin fer a complete set up and keep this one fer parts.I thought I got agood deal with the dullie 60 I bougtfer 600 bucks... 600 more fer s/w hubs,oh better redo the brakes to...another 80. bucks, xrover sterin yep a grand....so..... food fer thought.
    oh yea gotta have a crane diff cover to... another 200 bucks......
    Anyway while we are on this toppic I'ama gona be puttin this hunk of iron in my firs gen this week end and concerend of the bolts on the spring plates not seatin properly.Called skyjacker to see what they had to say and of corse they say "oh no problem, don't worry,run it" but I dont think so.
    So whatch yall think of this ider?.... thers a beveled shim on the bottom of the spring that couses this problem, so how about goin down to my local spring shop gettin one more for the top in the oppesit dirrection and the plate should be square again right?