Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Dodge Dana 60 Rear Question

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by trollporter, Mar 11, 2004.

1. trollporter

trollporter 1/2 ton status

I aquired a FREEBIE Dana 60 rear from a 71 Dodge D200. If I upgraded from the 30 spline open carrier to a 40 spline Detroit would it be worthy of 44" meat? I know that the 60 is 2" narrower than the SRW 14bFF so what brand of 1" wheel spacers should I run? /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

2. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

40 spline?
    I run a 35 spline D60 rear w/ 1.5" axels.
    Dunno? D60 rears are perrty tuff but if I was running 44s I would want a full floater rear weather it was D60 or 14bolt. I would not want a SF & 44" meats.
    Good Luck

3. trollporter

trollporter 1/2 ton status

It is a full floater, standard pinion, open carrier. As far as I can tell all that i'm going to have to do is move my spring pads to 42.5 C-C and probably roll the pinion up to eliminate the pinion shims. I'm also planing on a 40 spline Detroit w/5.13 and new brakes. I just haven't seen many people running 44"s on a Dana 60 rear and it makes me think that theres a reason for that. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

4. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

Ya I think the 14bolt is eaiser to get and cheeper to build so most just go that route. I assume with this 40spline locker you are going to get matching axels? I run www.markwilliams.com axels in my Rear SF D60. they are 1.5"diam. 35 spline. Super strong High Torque axels.
    Good Luck /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

5. bluejeep

bluejeep 1/2 ton status

Free when it comes to a dana 60 rear isn't that big of a deal. Even if you were to go pay $500 for a 14 bolt rear, you'd be ahead of the game. The money it would take to build your "free" dana 60 rear is much greater than to buy a 14 bolt and run it. Don't overlook things like having new spindles installed that would accept 40 spline axles, or the cost of making it a semi-floater. Add cost of the 40 spline axles, cost of the spacers, cost difference between dana 60 detroit and 14 bolt detroit.... The list goes on and on.

6. bshewmaker

bshewmaker Registered Member

[ QUOTE ]
    Don't overlook things like having new spindles installed that would accept 40 spline axles, or the cost of making it a semi-floater.

[/ QUOTE ] Why would you want to make it a SF. Seams like your backpeadling /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif