Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Dodge Dana 60? What years Fit?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Mudbug1979, Dec 15, 2004.

1. Mudbug1979

Mudbug1979 1/2 ton status

What year Dodge dana 60's fit my 79 K5? What kind of mods does it take to make it work?

2. OL14BLAZ

OL14BLAZ 1/2 ton status

All Dodge D60s have a 32.5" spring pad width. They will not bolt directly in, a GM spring width is 31.5" wide. IIRC you can spread your springs apart or AZ Kickin makes or did make a spacer to make up the difference.

I know there are a few on here that have used the Dodge D60 so they will probably fill you in on whatever I have left out.

3. atho

atho 1/2 ton status

any dodge open knuckle disc brake dana 60 will fit...roughly from '75 until '93. Starting in '94, they went to the crappy CAD balljoint drivers side drop axles.

One word of caution is that all of their 60's from the beginning til '89 had external hubs, and there are no aftermarket 35 spline hubs for this application. Only 2 aftermarket companies even make hubs for the 30 spline (MileMarker Selectro and Superwinch).
    '90-'93 units have internal hubs just like GM 60's, so you can get 35 spline hubs for these.

I have a vintage '78 Dodge 60 thats going under my GMC some day. I am lucky, mine has drive flanges that were used in conjunction with the 203 xfer. I am going to have them broached to 35 spline, it costs less than $100.

EDIT: most dodge 60's are 67.5" WMS-WMS. BillaVista's bible alludes to a 69.5" WMS like GM, but I have never seen nor heard of it. Also, according to BV, some of the 60's that came under trucks with the snowplow package will have HD Dana 70 inner c's (this is not universally true, because mine is from a snowplow pkg truck and it has regular inner c's).

I know board member az-k5 runs a Dodge 60, maybe he can tell you about putting it under a GM. :)

4. az-k5

az-k5 1/2 ton status