Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Dodge Dana 60s on a Chev?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by carpeonnel, Nov 8, 2006.

1. carpeonnel

carpeonnel 1/2 ton status

I just recently lifted (reverse shackle, spring, and shackle) my 1989 K5 and I've been looking for stronger running gear than my 10 bolts. Needless to say Dana 60s and 14 bolts out of chevs in my neck of the woods must be made of gold and platinum (if I was lucky enough to find them). A friend of mine who knew I was searching informed me that he has Dana 60s front and rear with 4.10 gears out of a late 80s Dodge. Will they work or could I make them work?

2. bronc3buster842001

bronc3buster842001 1/2 ton status

they should work the only difference is the brakes lines as far as i know ive taken chevy gears and put under a 74 ram charger and a 79 dodge also the shocks hook up different

3. KADILLACKID

KADILLACKID Registered Member

dodge 60s are nearly identical,a lil narrower i think only by an inch maybe and spring pads are out by 1/2 inch each but nnot noticeable...Not sure bout the perches on the 70 tho,if they need to be moved or not....Lotsa guys run them in the K5s and trucks...

4. carpeonnel

carpeonnel 1/2 ton status

will my current steering arm and/or draglink mate up with the dodge units

5. bronc3buster842001

bronc3buster842001 1/2 ton status

no the steering arms will prob be different on the ones i done both with dana 44s the arms where different

6. mofugly13

mofugly13 1 ton bucket of rust Premium Member

I put a Dodge 60 under my K5, it is narrower by 1/2", but I just bolted it right up and have had no problems at all. I needed to swap the pinion yoke to Chevy style. And, since I went crossover steering at the same time, the steering arm was not an issue. However, your 10 Bolt steering arm will not work on a D60. You will either need to go crossover, or put an ad in the parts wanted section for a Chevy D60 steering arm. Folks who have gone crossover are sure to have one layng around.