Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Dodge Dana60 Hub vs GM dana60 hub

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by crazy_swede_73, Dec 17, 2004.

1. crazy_swede_73

crazy_swede_73 Registered Member

I have a Dodge front dana60 with external locking hubs (yuck!),, i want to swap to chevy hubs so i can get internal locking hubs, i think the only diff is that the chevy hub is 1" wider then the Dodge hub,,??? but i'm not sure.
    I need to go wider!

2. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

Not sure on the difference between the external and internal hubs other than the lockout style. But the BillaVista 60 bible says that the 90-93 Dodge internal hubs are the same as Chevy hubs.

Link to the BV 60 Bible: BV 60 Front Bible

3. crazy_swede_73

i've looked trough the bible before to find out, but the only thing i found was that (as you said) 90-93 was interchangable with chevy.
    See my problem is that i have a 14bff from a G30 van and its 70" wide, the Dodge D60 (year -78) is 67" with external hubs, so i use 1.5" wheel adapters to get the axles to line up, and the adapters are great no problem with them at all.
    So i wanted to get the chevy hubs to get 69" width and to be able to buy warn looking hubs.
    I think the chevy wheel hub will fit, but i need to be sure.

4. Emmettology 101

As far as WMS, I dont think the hubs change that, but I dont know for sure. I think the only differences in the hub is the way the lockout mounts(internal vs. external). I dont think where the wheels mount changes at all. If you read down through the bible, it lists that the external and internal hub models were the same width(wms-wms)... But it did sya that supposedly there were a few that were 69", but it doesn't say why...

5. crazy_swede_73

Could it be the Knuckle that is different, could a dodge d60 have an -1.5" offset? and make it narrower?..

6. Emmettology 101

They say the outer knuckle is interchangable with Chevy with one slight difference, but it didn't say anyting about width. I was origianlly thinking that the housing itself was shorter since the overall width(wms-wms) is shorter. BUt the BV 60 Bible lists the same shafts being used in the external hub Dodge as the GM.. But the internal hub model has different sized shafts showing the short side being 1.69" shorter than the external and GM model. BUt then again in the same chart, it shows the internal long side shaft is .13" longer than the external and GM models. :dunno:

7. tarussell

tarussell 1/2 ton status

I don't know if this info will help in your question but the spindles and stub axles are different lengths from older Dodge external monut hubs and the later model Dodge internal hubs & all GM hubs.

HTH, Tom

8. tarussell

tarussell 1/2 ton status

I have put 35 spline stubs in a Dodge external mount hub and they were a different length than my GM 35 spline stubs. So there must be a difference in length betwween the two style spindles and hubs.

9. Emmettology 101

According to the bible, they're all the same, but it could be off. :D

10. crazy_swede_73

i just measured my friends GM d60,,the shafts are the same length, the spindle to,he has SRW hubs so,,,the hub gotta be it..

11. tarussell

tarussell 1/2 ton status

I am not doubting your measurements but I would make sure that ALL the hubs/spindles throughtout the years are the same . The Dodge axles that I was working on was a 1974 version and it was different than the GM stuff .

Good luck , Tom

The sales guy at Dynatrac even told me that Dodge had a few different length stubs and one of them was the same as the GM stuff - I assumed that it was the later internal hubs but I guess it includes some of the externaol mount hubs too .

12. crazy_swede_73

i guess there is a range of different shafts used in the dodge one,,,anyway..
    its only the locking hubs that bother me, they are damn noisy, clicking and slamin',,and easy to break also,,

13. tarussell

tarussell 1/2 ton status

I know what Ya mean about the manual hubs on the external mounts - they suck !

Tom