Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Dodge Np241 fixed yoke xfer case :) on my TH400....soon grasshopper

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by stallion85, Dec 7, 2006.

1. stallion85

stallion85 1/2 ton status

I have acquired a 32 spline input shaft for the NP241 that I pulled out of a Dodge 1/2 ton:D It is almost ready to make it's way into my beast pending a clocking ring to mount it up.

Is it the standard clocking ring or is there a custom design?

What is the aftermarket support for rear yoke upgrades?

Who has heard of the 241-205 doubler on Pirate?

Thanks for the replies:xmas:

Last edited: Jan 13, 2007
  2. neverendingproject

neverendingproject 1/2 ton status

The clocking of the dodge is different than chevy, so you'd have to get a custom one made.

3. MEK5

MEK5 1/2 ton status

Stock Dodge 241 will have a 23spline input gear not 32spline unless you found something custom.

Dodge and Ford share the same bolting pattern which is wrong for GM,The GLO clocking ring wont work(been there/done that)!
    You could have a custom one made or......... DIY 4x4 offers a driverside drop clocking ring which I THINK will work out but have not confirmed,be advised that I have not purchased one and tried it so you should check with Kert to see if he has a Dodge case there to check!

The front and rear outputs are 32spline so most yokes with a 1 7/8 seal surface will work even the CV flanges.Might be able to use 2 1/8 seal surface yokes also but would need to do some seal size research first but it would be a pretty thin seal.

4. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

He has a Dodge 241 and a chevy 32 spline input to put in it so ya he is making a custom one. Cant help on the clocking. I thought it would sit perfectly level if you just bolted it up but I am not sure.

Ira

5. stallion85

The way the pattern is setup if you bolted it up as is the front output would be way high and the case would hit the floor board.

How did the clocking ring not work? I would use it to clock it down, what problem did you run into?

6. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

I have been following the 241 doubler on pirate somewhat & the guy who "makes" it never can seem to post any pictures of it & always says there is no demand so he doesn't know if he will produce any. I like the idea but he seems a little shacky to me.

Harley

7. stallion85

Yea I read that post to and got the same feeling. Looks as though the 208 I have is cracked so I need to get this 241 in ASAP! I tried using some right stuff to stop the leak. So far so good, I was looking at that DS drop clocking ring and I think I know what MEK5 is talking about.

Could I actually be the first guy to do this on CK5? I highly doubt it........is there someone who has done this that can help out about the clocking ring thang?

8. MEK5

MEK5 1/2 ton status

I looked at this some more yesterday,bolting a GM adapter to the Dodge case using only 5 of the bolts will lay it flat but as you found out its just to much for anything but a buggy!
    You will have floor clearance problems but the real problem would be the driveshaft angle.

I bought a GLO ring way back to use on a Dodge/GM 208 and it just didnt work out after mess`n with it for hours.If I remember correctly I got one set of holes that put the case almost at the normal location maybe even down some! I ended up making a custom one just like theres with the correct clocking.

I mentioned a driverside drop ring yesterday thinking that it would clock it down but thats not going to work either.The GM DS and PS bolt patterns are mirror images of each other so I flipped my GLO ring over to see what would happen and it did not help.The problem is the rotation of the bolt pattern with the Dodge/Ford vs GM,so long story short its back to a custom clocking ring!

A ring would not be all that hard to make and you probably could get DIY to sell you a ring with just the counter sunk holes,bolt it to the case then have a buddy hold it up against the adapter in the truck right where you want it while you mark thru the holes.You would not need the extra holes just one set!

You will be able to make that Dodge case work in your GM even if you have to spend a hundred bucks at a machine shop,I think it will be worth it!

9. stallion85

Sounds pretty simple and I have a machinist who prob wouldn't charge me too much.

Now I gotta talk to Kert.....

Last edited: Dec 9, 2006
  10. cybrfire

cybrfire 1 ton status Vendor GMOTM Winner

so the bolt pattern is correct but clocking on the Dodge is different. MEK5 can you establish the degree of rotation?

11. mikey_d05

mikey_d05 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

Two questions...

Kert, didn't I use your 32 spline input for my TH400/241 combo?

Dodge used fixed yoke 241's??? Is it at all possible that I could mate a Dodge 241 with a Chevy TH400? It's looking like I NEED the rear shaft length at the moment but I don't want to spend the $350 on an SYE. If not...do the parts interchange so that I could swap the shaft and tailhousing for Dodge pieces?

12. MEK5

MEK5 1/2 ton status

All the bolt circles are the same with the round pattern transfers but its the location of the rotations that makes them different.Dodge and Ford share the same rotation even though they have different front output drops:crazy:

According to NWF in a discussion about bolting patterns concerning GM/Ford 205s a few months ago that number was around 77 degrees difference.

As far as fabbing the clocking rings you would make the countersunk holes as you normally do but just change the stud hole locations.IMO it would be best to have an old Dodge/Ford case around,doesnt matter if its a 208/241.

If your willing to sell the blank clocking rings (countersunk holes with mounting hardware) I will buy 2 of them!

To answer the other questions about swapping a Dodge 241 do a search on NP208 mix and match from a week ago, some info there.

13. stallion85

This is exactly what I am doing. This NP241 is a stock fixed yoke out of a 1/2 ton Dodge pickup that had a 727 transmission. I have a TH400-NP208 xfer case so I needed a 32 spline input shaft for the 241. I should be getting mine in the mail within the next week (Thanks for the lead Orangefj45:xmas: ). Once I swap the input shafts out and get the clocking ring it should go in No problem.

I got the xfer case for free, $85 for the input shaft and gears, and I am assuming around $70 for the clocking ring. $155 total investment for a fixed yoke and lower Lo....at least a little bit.

Here are some pic's to help some of you out. You can see the way the mounting bolts are how it would cause a problem.:xmas:

DSC01787.JPG

DSC01794.JPG

DSC01795.JPG

241 stamp.JPG

DSC01793.JPG

14. mikey_d05

mikey_d05 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

Time to start looking for Dodge 241's I guess, anybody need a GM NP241 clocking ring?:doah:

15. stallion85

ttt

I am getting close to ordering a clocking ring. I talked with Kert and he wants me to mail him a gasket so he can make a clocking ring that will work for this application! Great Guy! I don't know where he finds the time.....he must not sleep or something....lol. I will let you all know if I become successful in this venture. I have been really lazy lately :( I need to put some time into the beast......

16. iwaxmyjimmy

iwaxmyjimmy College web wheeler Premium Member

dude u need to collaborate w/ Kurt and make this into a swap kit. b/c id love to have a slip-travel rear shaft but Ive got a damn 208(funny part is its cracked like urs).

17. muddybuddy

muddybuddy 3/4 ton status

ive got a 4L80e/chevy 241 adapter, could you just redrill the holes?

18. marv_springer

marv_springer 1/2 ton status

This is cool..... I hope a solution is arrived at!

Cover all the bases. It's been my experience that these damn chaincases have more hidden hangups than my last 2 ex-wives! :haha: On the other hand, once you figure it out - they work surprisingly well.

The guys w/ cracked cases... are you all busting them from hitting rocks or landing on them? ...or cuz of torque? I've busted several, but only because I've had mounts fail on my "divorced pair" of 208's? Now that I have that resolved, I hope to crack no more cases.

Marv

19. stallion85

My case cracked around the casting support for the front output. I don't really know how it cracked, but I suspect it is due to my driveline. I built a square driveshaft and did not leave enough room for it to collaps. So when it bottoms out I think it was causing stress in this area (duh). The cracks are more like hairline fractures since you can barely see them and the fluid seeps out. I just put some silicone on my NP208 to stop it till I get the Dodge NP241 in.

I did a thread on swappiing the 32 spline input shatft which I thought was going to be hard, it was quite easy. The shifting mechanism might be tricky though. I haven't compared them yet.

http://coloradok5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=192912