Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

dodge to drop the cummins?>

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by darkshadow, May 8, 2005.

1. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

guy at work was saying that there droping it because they now have the beamer diesel line and will use one of there moters!!!

any truth???

i am sure if they did sales would drop and for or chevy would snach it up and offer it as a option or something.

2. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

I bet Ford would snatch it first. I'm pretty certain that the Dodge Cummins contract is coming up to an end soon. Not heard any of these rumors though. Wouldn't buy a brand new dodge myself. The 06 ones are going to look like the new Dakotas :surepal:

3. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

If Dodge was to drop the Cummins it would be for a Mecedes diesel not a Beamer. GM would not pick it up cause they are so closely tied (Own) with Isuzu. Ford would pass as well due to the partnership they have with Navistar. Infact Navistar and Ford have recently created a new company called "Blue Diamond" with a lot of money invested. In the end it would be Cummins as the odd man out unless they got picked up by Toyota.

4. joez

joez 1/2 ton status

Toyota has Hino, contracting Cummins for motors would be moving backwards.

As for dodge dropping the ISB, i really dont see it happening in the next couple years. While MB has some great motors out there, the cummins is what people know, its the motor that literally saved Dodge trucks. A good chunk of peole who buy them, buy the cummins and get a dodge arround it, not the other way arround. I supose its a posibility, but you have to remember that its been rumored forever that Ford was going to pick up the Cummins and leave dodge out in the cold, people say it every year. Ill believe it when i see it.

5. Bhintz

Bhintz 1/2 ton status

very true Im about to buy a dodge just b/c CTD

6. mikey_d05

mikey_d05 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

No matter what happens, I'd like to see a company that can put a damn truck around a motor. Our '04 Furd powerstroke with 10,000 miles on it has been in the shop for almost a week now. EGR was plugged with soot and the turbo too. A dumb flash from Ford made it run badly and throw soot through the whole engine. Trans has already had numerous problems along with more than one electronics malfunction in the cab. Before you go flaming Ford for it, I know of Chevy's that are worse.

Rant Over

7. BlueBlazer

BlueBlazer 1/2 ton status

Eh? How would it be moving backwards.

8. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

I've been told that almost all the 6.0 motors came with injectors too large, thats why the soot issue. My friend and his dad both have 6.0 trucks. Both have gone through turbos and glow plugs already.

9. joez

joez 1/2 ton status

Toyota already owns a majority of Hino, and just recently in the past year or so aquired an even larger percentage of it. It would be a step back monitarily to go with a cummins. Guess i should have specified that.

10. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

If what You say is true then that make since as well. I would also say that Nissan would be out of the question as well since they also have Their own diesel engiens in their UD medium duty trucks. It makes no since to buy someone elses engines when You can supply Your own. That being said, I could easly see Dodge going to a Mercedes engine in the futer. With Dodge under control of Daimler and the way the Germans like to keep things "in house" it would not suprise Me one bit.

11. BlueBlazer

BlueBlazer 1/2 ton status

Ah, I see, that makes more sense.

12. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

the idea makes sence, just wondering if there was any hard truth to it. guess not. thanks guys

13. joez

joez 1/2 ton status

Yup, in 2000 they gained controlling interest with 38% ownership, in 2001 it went up to 50.1%, not exactly positive what it is up to now, though.

I can definately see Dodge going with an MB diesel down the road, but not for a few years. The ISB is too strong of a selling point right now, IMHO.

14. protechk5

protechk5 1/2 ton status

well doesnt ford own mercedes??

15. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

cummins and mercedes researched the High Pressure Common Rail used on the ISB 600 and 610 as a joint effort. the merc diesels dont have as much torque, but have potential. would i buy another dodge if they dropped the cummins? maybe after a few years to see the outcome of the Merc diesel. i have not heard of dodge dropping the cummins engine, but it is possible. it would eb a few years away in my eyes. i do know cummins was working on a v6 and was testing it in ram 1500's and durango's but no deal to produce yet and the v6 is a year or two away still. the ONLY reason i bought a dodge 3500 is for the cummins and the stronger than ford and chevy NV5600(it has a larger output and the other two do and increased output rating) along with the full length hydro formed frame rails. it does have the highest power, the best MPG and the highest payload/towing numbers. it was middle cost as well. oh, and brakes and turns a lot better than the other two as well. cosmeticaly... well, i like the overall looks, but i am glad it has a Cummins.
    Grant

16. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

hmmm... a reg cab short bed taco with a 4 cyl version of the 600 CTD? that'd be cool... :cool1:

j

17. joez

joez 1/2 ton status

No.

18. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

yeah it they are going to do this, i see them working really hard to make a moter beter then the cummins in all capasitys then swaping it in after the kinks are out.

nothing worse then a new moter that isent fully tested and haveing recalls