Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Dodge Vs Chevrolet vs Ford

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by RockaFella, Oct 11, 2002.

1. RockaFella

RockaFella Registered Member

Ok I Know This Is a Chevrolet Blazer Site But Yall Gotta Look at it This Away There are 3 Rivals Dodge RamCharger, Ford Bronco, and The Chevrolet Blazer I never really Thaught of it This Way Bronco Had a Nice Body Style And It was pretty But The Ramcharger was a Nice One Along with the Blazer But esides That Engine Size and All That Come into Play The Ramcharger Running a 318 The Blazer Running a 350 And The Bronco Running a 351 The Best Pulling Would Be the Blazer Right? Thats what iv Been Told Over and Over But I Like Dodge and The amcharger was a Basic Copy by Looks Has anyone thought Which one was Best Over All I know Im Not a Professional and some of you are Help! /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif vs /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif vs /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

2. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

If you are the one working on, and modiying the truck, stick with Chevy. Just compare how many different engine to tranny patterns Ford has to Chevy. There are multiple other instances of this, which is common to Ford.

Dodge isn't too bad, they used some GM parts and ideas on their trucks : )

3. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> I gotta agree, not only is the Blazer the best looking one, but the drivetrain is so much easier to deal with on them. No TTB, pretty much all the engines have the same bellhousing bolt pattern, engines swap right into the mounts from other engines, very nice to work on. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Can I make a suggestion? Your post is very difficult to read, could you maybe try to not capitalize every word and throw a period in now and then? No offense, I just had to read it a couple of times to make sense of some of it. </font color>

4. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

The Chevy had a removable hardtop right up til 91, the Dodge was a permanent steel roof by the early 80's (can't recall exactly when that happened)

Also the dodge used some weird small bolt pattern fronts that were hella weak.

The upside is they could be had with the 440 in the Trail Duster package...

Ford had 2 years of Solid front axle before they went with TTB. Unless you're building a pre-runner the TTB sucks IMHO.

Rene

5. AzzKicker

AzzKicker 1/2 ton status

To me the Ramcharger looks like a wide piece of shyt.

6. 4x4dreamer

4x4dreamer 1/2 ton status

If I'm not mistaken, the Ramcharger also came with a 360 instead of the 318.

7. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

The ramcharger looks great but I still prefer GM's
    Much easier to work with, parts are plentyfull and cheap.

8. jackedjimmy350

jackedjimmy350 1/2 ton status

ramchargers could have came with 440, 360, or the 318 depending on year, etc. i believe in 81 they quit making removable tops. blazers/jimmies /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif by far look the best. plus gm parts are more common, etc.

9. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

I stay away from Furd becouse it's a PITA to work with. The Chevrolet is so much nicer becouse it's very modifier friendly. Most mods are bolt in's. I am kinda looking at a Plymoth Trailduster up the road from me. If the guy will lower the price, I just might buy it for a second 4X4. It's a mid 80's model.

10. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

the 78-79 Bronco is the best of the bunch by far.
    a TTB axle can be swapped out easily there are even a couple of kits available, though I dont think I would bother unless I was going big tires and needed a 60.
    I would probably try using the 3/4 ton parts on modified radius arms

11. TorkDSR

TorkDSR 1/2 ton status

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    To me the Ramcharger looks like a wide piece of shyt.

[/ QUOTE ] funny; thats what a stock gm tenbolt looks like to most ramcharger owners /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif. i know first hand. the all steel non removable top can be a blessing for some drivers, the stock 44 up front is easy to get upgrades for, the 727 trans is nothing to laugh at (almost a 400), and the whole belly is skidplated in 1/4 inch. the 5 bolt rims just make it a bit of a 'sleeper' the only draw back is the 318 after 82ish i think. the inside seems cavernous and depending how you look at it the back 'hatch' makes the rear cargo area a very accessable spot.

stock id wheel a ramcharger. but to lock and load it
    wouldnt be worth the time...no aftermarket.

just a ramcharger owner's humble opinion /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif
    but you wont see me on the trail with it, unless my k15 gets stuck /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif
    Ryan

12. RockaFella

RockaFella Registered Member

Yes I Like the Ramchargers Looks. But Yes They Set to Low To The Ground But they looked awesome jacked up.

I added is some periods /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

13. Alex

Alex Registered Member

I had them both (Ford and Chevy). My 88 Ford Bronco (Eddie Bauer) was plush and more luxurious than my fully loaded 91 Silverado K5. The IFS, brakes and overall parts availability were a PITA on the Ford. I remember changing every piece of brake component on that rig and it would pull in one direction when braking and smoke going down a small hill towing my boat. Also, the engineering was a bit peculiar. Try removing the passenger side valve cover (HA!); they must have had a snot-nose-just-out-of-college mechanical engineer design that one. Now take my beloved K5, it simple, strong, and the parts interchangeability is awesome. I should have never strayed from GM. Can not say anything about a Dodge except their doors probably fall off (Chrysler historically has had body integrity issues). /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

14. fulltopblazer

fulltopblazer 1/2 ton status

I like the old broncos like '67-7? you know the first gen. I've seen alot of those that are mod. and kicka$$, although I'd probably never own one just because the GM stuff is just so much easier to work on and find parts for... cheaper too.

15. 4x4Freak

4x4Freak 1/2 ton status

The F**d TTB sucks. Every Bronco I've ever driven was squirly as hell. The only thing I like about F**ds is the starter solenoid. They're harder than hell to work on and they may have used 3 or 4 differents parts in one model year on each particular model.

I cant really say too much about Dodge cause I havent ever messed with em. I actually wouldnt mind having a Ramcharger.

I really like my Scout. It's relatively easy to work on and can easily go 300k miles or more before an engine rebuild. They used stout trannies and transfer cases and are built like a tank. They also have a full removable top and are actually pretty easy to find parts.

Of course I like my Chevys too. They're easy find parts, work on and modify. They're also pretty inexpensive to drive and maintain; unless I'm driving. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif
    /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif