Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Does 241C need oil pump?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by gmcburb1965, Jun 10, 2006.

1. gmcburb1965

gmcburb1965 clever user title

The question is: does the 241C need the oil pump?

I understand the 208 is the same as 241 but w/o the pump, is this true?

I was trying to get the speedo working in my truck by swapping the speedo tailhousing/bearing retainer from a pass 241 onto a reluctor tailhousing driver 241 but the oil pump is keyed differently and would not allow the tailhousing to seat. Without the pump the tailhousing will go on my TC by slightly enlarging the bolt holes.

GM may have made a speedo bearing retainer for the later model driver drop 241C but I don't have one, any ideas?

2. sapper

sapper 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Someone will correct me if I'm wrong but they should just need ATF. My 241 has 140,000 miles on it with just ATF:confused:

3. wayne

wayne 3/4 ton status

Get the correct parts for your t case. Are you doing an electronic or mech. speedo?

4. mouse

mouse 1/2 ton status

I think he's just trying to get a mechanical speedo to work in his application, and does have all the parts to make it work with an electronic speedo. Which brings back his point of which combo can he use so that he can use a mechanical speedo?

Using a driver's drop 241, but wants to use a mechanical speedo. Will a 1989 and older (passenger drop, mech speedo) swap in?

5. gmcburb1965

gmcburb1965 clever user title

Yep, Mouse is right I'm trying to make the mech speedo work on the driver drop 241 that has reluctor instead of plastic gear.

I tried to swap the parts over from an older pass drop 241 I had lying around. Everything swaps just fine but the way the oil pump is held in place (by the bearing housing) is by nonsymetrical "ears", for lack of a better word. So the bearing housing can only be oriented to pump one way (and you can't rotate the pump b/c of the tube).

I might be able to bend a new tube to allow the pump to rotate into the right position but easier would be to find an app the had mech speedo on a driver drop 241, maybe a diesel I don't know. I thought about enlarging the hole for the reluctor pickup to accept the speedo drive but that's a little beyond my tooling capabilities.

So, if no one knows of an app that has a driver drop 241 with mech speedo I guess I could try one of the options above or even get a electronic. speedo to run off the reluctor.