Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

does 69-72 top fit 73-75?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by kaymo, Mar 31, 2006.

1. kaymo

kaymo Newbie

I can find the older tops with the flip glass in the back, which i like better than the roll up glass, but i cant find the newer tops here around SC where i live. ive looked some in GA and NC but no luck yet. i found someone with an older k5 but he thinks that his would be too narrow to fit, has anyone tried this? im about to just go make a top out of aluminum or something... i dont want a soft top because either someone or the trail will tear it up methinks. also i will be carrying my tools so id rather not someone cut into it to steal my tools. does anyone have a full top for a 73-75 around me? driving around with no top is fun till it rains!!

kaymo

2. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

the tops are too different to match the doors and windshield area as well.

3. willymonster

willymonster 1/2 ton status

4. Leper

Leper 1/2 ton status

nope again.

5. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

Get a softop..they won't cut it to steal your stuff they will just unsnap it :D
    Leave the doors unlocked and take your stuff out then your top won't be the way in.
    I hated my hardtop and love the softtop..
    .02c

Oh and Nope it won't fit :D

6. kaymo

kaymo Newbie

okay yeah well i have no top and i really dont love it. i might enjoy being able to go from closed top to open top without having to take it off and store it but you must understand i live in greenville SC, where there are lots of people with less money than pairs of shoes and more money than sense, so they dont have much so they enjoy taking from people who do have something even if it is a little, so everything will dissapear. i cant really just "take all my stuff out" because i have to use my truck to move my tools around (my other car is a honda) and i cant really have a vehicle if it doesnt have a system. ive already got an idea how to install a system and make it very hard to steal even if you are on the inside or im running around town with no top but i cant really afford to have my tools stolen, even if most of them come from harbor freight (because the rest is good Husky tools)
    someone down the street from me has a full convertible i was thinking of asking him to use his top to form an aluminum shell around. ive got the glass from my missing top... the idiot before me took the glass out and threw it away because it was "too full of shotgun holes". i could have fixed a million shotgun holes easy, but fixing just a HOLE where the top was is real ****in hard. anyway my other options are to get a half top and form the gap, or to go find a regular truck, weld the door posts to the roof, and then cut the roof off in one section. anyone have ANY other ideas or possible leads on southeastern full fiberglass tops? thanks in advance

james

7. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

looks???

If your not worried about looks you could carve up a pickup cab's roof and back wall to fit,and use a pickup's 6' bed aluminum or fiberglass "cap" to cover the bed,or even a plywood "tonneau" cover you could lock up with a hasp and padlock... but it would be crude looking..:crazy:

You mean to tell us there is NO 73-75 K5 tops in the boneyards down there??..:eek1:

8. kaymo

kaymo Newbie

yeah pretty much lol. been calling everywhere. bastards keep CRUSHING THEM. everywhere i hear... "oh yeah... i had one, crushed it last week... no one wanted any parts off it"
    so painful