Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Does a 14BFF have a drain plug? Or do I have to take the cover off?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by PetaKane, Jan 16, 2003.

1. PetaKane

PetaKane 1/2 ton status

I hate to ask such a lousy question but if anybody has changed gear oil in there 14 bolt, did it have a drain plug and if so where? Thanks

2. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> It has a drain plug. It's that big thing on the back of it with 14 bolts holding it on. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif </font color>

3. PetaKane

PetaKane 1/2 ton status

Man oh man. Well, thanks for letting me know..how much is a new gasket gonna run me?

4. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> Bah, gaskets are for the factory, just use RTV. I haven't used a gasket on a diff in years and I've never had a leak. Just run a 1/8" -1/4" bead, make little circles around all the bolt holes, let it skin for 10-15 minutes then bolt the cover on. Make sure you scrape all of the old gasket off of the cover and the housing so they're nice and clean and you won't have any problems with leaks. If you really want to use a gasket I have one that you can have.</font color>

5. PetaKane

PetaKane 1/2 ton status

/forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif Thanks man, once I started pryin this thing off, I decided that RTV would probably be best but thanks again for your help in my first gear oil changin experience. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

6. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

And torque the bolts evenly or else it will leak...trust me