Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Does a diesel tank work like a gas tank?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Lotsa_Faith, Jan 6, 2004.

1. Lotsa_Faith

Lotsa_Faith 1/2 ton status

I'm wondering if my diesel tank from my '1009 is the reason why my gas motor is having some problems that I haven't been able to figure out. I'm in the process of swapping motors, so nows the time to fix it. Do they work the same?

2. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

????????????? More information. YOur gas motor is having problems? Did you drain all of the diesel out first before you filled it with gas?

3. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

When I swapped the 6.2 into my truck I reused the same tank. I blew out all the gasoline and flushed a couple of litres of diesel through the lines before hooking it all up.

The diesel tank will have a water sensor as part of the float mechanism, and I think the sock at the bottom is slightly different. The tank I just mentioned was originally from a diesel truck. I used it for nearly a year with my 350, then drained it and am now using it for my 6.2.

What is you motor doing? Is your fuel pump good? Fuel filter clogged maybe?

Rene

4. Lotsa_Faith

Lotsa_Faith 1/2 ton status

Well its a crappy motor and has been doing it for a while. Itll just bog down sometimes, mostly itll only do it for about a day after I fill up, so I think I might just have crap in the tank. I'm in the process of putting in a new 350, so just trying to see if the tanks are the same or not so the new motor doesnt have the same problem.

5. jwduke

jwduke 1/2 ton status

My understanding on fuel tanks GM used in diesel Pickups/Blazers is, that the diesel ones are stainless steel & the gas ones are galvanized metal. You can use the diesel tank in a gasser, but not the opposite, as diesel fuel causes the galvanization to flake off & plug filters.

6. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

[ QUOTE ]
    When I swapped the 6.2 into my truck I reused the same tank. I blew out all the gasoline and flushed a couple of litres of diesel through the lines before hooking it all up.

The diesel tank will have a water sensor as part of the float mechanism, and I think the sock at the bottom is slightly different. The tank I just mentioned was originally from a diesel truck. I used it for nearly a year with my 350, then drained it and am now using it for my 6.2.

Rene

[/ QUOTE ]

Ohhh that's probably the problem. He is only going to have gallons of diesel in TX. Maybe you should mail him some liters. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

Try a new fuel filter and check the tank venting and canister. You might have hooked it up wrong and pulling to much Vac on the tank.