Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

DOES A LOCKER IN THE FRONT DECREASE TURNING RADIUS?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by smp, Dec 2, 2000.

1. smp

smp 1/2 ton status

I was wondering if a detroit locker in the front axle will decrease your turning radius ?

[​IMG] SMP

2. Chris Demartini

Chris Demartini 1/2 ton status

<font color=blue>Yes, the Detroit in the front will decrease the turning radius..... a lot!</font color=blue>

3. Bigd

Bigd 1/2 ton status

if your on the gas Yes.If your coasting it should unlock but it has been my experience that it still increases your turning radius.

4. smp

smp 1/2 ton status

So maybe i should spend the extra 100 bucks and get an ARB

[​IMG] SMP

5. CK5

CK5 In my underwear Administrator Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

Shane
    Spring for the ARB, you will love that thing, I have to have it now, I am getting one in my 60 before I swap it in.

Steve
    [​IMG]
    1990 K5 with stuff

6. ken

ken 1/2 ton status

Yeah, you'll love the ARB till ya snag the lines and rip them off and the thang quits working. Oh, then there's the o ring problem, and the need to have a working compressor. Don't get me wrong, I'm not bashing the ARB, but I prefer the Detroit...install it and forget it. And the two Detroits that I have in the fronts of my rigs ('88 crewcab dually, and Jeep CJ5) don't limit my steering radius...course I run SAND!!! Sand is a little more forgiving than rocks!!

ken

7. CK5

I run the line up with the vent tube and have never snagged them on anything, I would hit the diff before anything would hit the line and I do carry extra line with me but I will have that in my trail box for years. There is NOTHING better than the option of fully locked and fully open at the push of a button. Don't get me wrong, I'm not bashing the Detroit, it is my locker of choice for the rear. Why is everyone so worried about ripping out ARB and Rancho lines, neither one is going to leave you stranded? And besides an air compressor is a good idea even if you don't run an ARB.
    Just my .03 (was .02 but prices are going up)

Steve
    [​IMG]
    1990 K5 with stuff

8. CK5

You can also get stainless steel air lines for an ARB. I wouldn't want a locker in the front for drving in snow on the street either.

Steve
    [​IMG]
    1990 K5 with stuff

9. smp

smp 1/2 ton status

i would think if you took your time and was carefull on routing the air line you shouldn't have any problems and i do like the on off option and it will give me one more switch to play with

[​IMG] SMP

10. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

One thing I have seen/read for air lines on shocks or lockers is to run the air lines thru a brake line. That way the plastic air line is sheilded my metal. Never done it just read about it some were........

72K5[​IMG]Led Zeppelin[​IMG]Rock ON![​IMG]
    http://www.burt4x4.coloradok5.com

11. ken

ken 1/2 ton status

Yeah, ARBs are the choice for snow and ice, but being in sunny So Cal I never feel the need for them. I'll keep installing front Detroits and forgetting about them. Besides, I love sand much better than rocks! You've never lived till you've gone balls-out in a huge sand bowl with the high revs of an uncorked V8, and adrenaline flowing like mexican water through a first time tourist!!

ken

12. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

Having lived in San Diego for 5 years, experiencing Tijuana, Mexico many times, and Montezuma's revenge once, that is HILARIOUS, Ken. Oh, the memories........."but that Dos Equus is made with filtered water"............HAH! [​IMG]

<font color=black>'79 - 406 TPI -<font color=orange> K5#5 - <font color=blue>See it at---&gt;http://www.blazzinor.coloradok5.com

13. 1HIHUM

1HIHUM 1/2 ton status

The locker won't effect turning radius, or drivability on the street if you don't have the hubs locked in will it?

[​IMG]

14. ken

ken 1/2 ton status

Correct.

ken

15. 1HIHUM

1HIHUM 1/2 ton status

Then what's all the fuss over? Unless you have full time four wheel drive, lock that sob and forget about it. If it doesn't effect anything when the hubs aren't locked, I wouldn't sweat it. But hey, that's just my $.04(adjusted for inflation)[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. ken

ken 1/2 ton status

I guess the fuss comes when you need your 4 wheel drive on icy roads, then a full locker can get you into trouble...whereas an ARB could be unlocked for ice and operated as an open diff, thus allowing you to turn somewhat elegantly.

ken

17. AZK5

AZK5 1/2 ton status

I use to have full time 4wd and a front Detroit on my K5. If you unlock the front hubs and run in high locked in the transfercase it will drive just like a part time 4wd with an open front axle. As far as the turning radius goes on the street no effect, offroad 2-point turns. When I'm in the rocks, backing up disengages the Detroit. Then I go forward turning until it locks up again, then I back up. Is this slow and tedius? Yes. Do I care? No. When I'm in the rocks I'm in no hurry. Let me ask a question of anyone with an ARB. Do you think you will ever replace any of the parts in the ARB, solenoid, air cylinder, air lines, fittings, compressor? I've been on the trail with ARB's and I've seen all of these parts fail. Not to mention the driver's asking me if they are locked up while I'm spotting them. I don't expect to ever replace any part of my Detroit Locker. My goal on my truck is to drive to a trail, go wheelin', and then drive home. Not repair my truck on the trail because I have the spare parts with me. I want someone that has had an ARB for 2 or 3 years of wheelin' several times a month to say nothing has ever broken on their ARB. As far as the air line is concerned, flying rocks, branches, barbed wire, fence posts can all take out an air line. I guess if you stay on the graded dirt roads you'll be just fine.
    CB

18. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

I don't have any personal experience with the ARB's, but several of the guys in our club that I go riding with at least once per month use them. I have never seen an ARB fail on the trail, the only problem I have seen was a line leak but the locker would still engage and only caused the compressor to run a lot. Most of our trails are in dense woods which means a lot a brush, but again I have never seen a line damaged due to snagging something.
    Several of these guys still prefer to have a Detroit in the rear axle for their simplicity, strength, and if for some reason the ARB or compressor ever failed they would still have at least one locker to get them out of the woods.

19. AZK5

AZK5 1/2 ton status

Exactly, this sentence is the reason I don't run an ARB. "Several of these guys still prefer to have a Detroit in the rear axle for their simplicity, strength, and if for some reason the ARB or compressor ever failed they would still have at least one locker to get them out of the woods." In this case why don't they run a Detroit in the front so that they can drive out of the woods with 2 lockers still intact.
    CB

20. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

I think most of their reasoning for the ARB in the front revolves around the ability of being unable to unlock it for easier manuevering. A Detroit in the rear axle doesn't seem to have nearly as much effect on steering as having one in the front. Still though, even if an ARB stops working it won't leave you stranded.