Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Does a TPI setup bolt up to Vortechs?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by NITRO, Dec 3, 2003.

1. NITRO

NITRO 1/2 ton status

exactly what the title says. im plannin my next engine build up and can get a complete TPI engine for $700. but i want some better heads on it and these seem to be the way to go. thanx

NITRO

2. SUBFAN

SUBFAN 1/2 ton status

No, but it can be made to work....

3. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

yeah what he said! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. NITRO

NITRO 1/2 ton status

uh huh....so what does it take??? or would it b better to throw some 305 heads on there for a lil bit higher compression?? im gonna run forged pistons and nitrous....so it needs to b able to get the fuel in and out...assuming too that it will have been ported and polished. but they juss seem cheap and they seem like some good heads

NITRO

5. jjlaughner

the head bolts are a different angle I believe. I haven't looked into it much yet. I found some stuff to fill the holes in with before you redrill. Otherwise I think the redrilling in the original hole will get sloppy. I also dont know much about TPI setups but I know they make aftermarket TBI intakes for vortec heads. I bet if you look around (like the third gen site) they probley have TPI intakes for vortec heads also. I just seen some heads here in indiana sell on ebay for $455 that where 64cc but not vortecs. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif Dont know what they where though, I should have wrote down the numbers he gave, its a performance shop in Indiana somewhere.

6. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    uh huh....so what does it take??? or would it b better to throw some 305 heads on there for a lil bit higher compression?? im gonna run forged pistons and nitrous....so it needs to b able to get the fuel in and out...assuming too that it will have been ported and polished. but they juss seem cheap and they seem like some good heads

NITRO

[/ QUOTE ]

The short answer to the 305 heads question is no, they suck ass and don't even flow enough for a 305 cid engine much less something larger

Does TPI fit on Vortecs?

No, it will not fit without modification.

No, I would not fill the holes in the lower intake and drill them differently to try to make the stock intake fit. You will probably end up with a vacuum leak. Even if you don't, you will lose all the benefit from the raised runners if you use a stock intake with those heads so you probably won't gain any power from all that work.

Yes they make a Vortec TPI intake. I highly suggest that if you chose the Vortecs, you use it.

I personally would buy some World Products S/R torquers or Dart heads or something. Much better buy, no special rocker arms or intake.

7. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

The good news is that it is possible to use TPI with Vortec (no H at the end /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif) heads. The bad news is that it is expensive! /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif You'll need this: Vortec TPI Manifold Base plus the Vortec heads. It's cheaper to buy some good aftermarket heads that have the correct bolt pattern, so you can use your existing TPI manifold base.

8. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

If you are talking about forged pistons and nitrous, doesn't sound like a long runner TPI setup is for you.

Vortec setup is a PITA, don't bother with it. Get some other aftermarket heads that don't require the $400 intake.

9. NITRO

NITRO 1/2 ton status

well...this engine isnt goin to be for the Truck, its going into a 86 camaro Z28. but i figured they are all small blocks so i would ask here. but n e wayz, every car ive ridden in with TPI ive been very impressed. and for the price of $700 complete...its a really hard deal to pass up. its mainly going to be a daily driver/street car. juss somethin to mess around with on the weekends.

So then what heads would be good for it? or should i juss use the stock ones and have them ported, polished, and rebuilt?thanx

NITRO

10. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

For a fast car, something along the lines of AFR heads and a mini-ram (or similar) intake, is what you want. Torque isn't the end all in a light vehicles performance like it is in a trucks. (and even then, thats not always true, look at mud trucks)

I'm not saying TPI can't be worked with to make a fast vehicle, but the runners are way too long to make good high RPM HP, and even with different runners, base, etc., the numbers don't seem to be anywhere near what they are with the mini-ram style setups. Don't forget, the TPI system was intended to feed a 305 originally, nothing is different between the runners, base, etc., between a 305 and 350.

To be honest, I haven't delved into the "performance" side of TPI much, as I knew it had what I wanted: great torque. Look around on thirdgen.org. There are some guys going pretty quick with "stock" setups, but they've spent a LOT of time and effort getting there. IMO their tradeoff is in time, whereas if you went with a mini-ram etc., your tradeoff would be money. But we all know and expect power to cost $$, and in this case, it's still true.

11. NITRO

NITRO 1/2 ton status

my other option other than TPI was a 355 or 383 with tunnel ram. but im really wantin the fuel injection mainly for the fact of good power, but with some economy. also, the car has the T-5 trans. so...im gonna b controlling the shifts and where it revvs too.

NITRO

12. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

For what you are looking for, maybe you should consider the LT1 intake setup on the TPImotor...........John Millican (think that's his name) is the dude that does the conversion on the intake and that WILL allow it to breathe. It will also fit in an F body.........guys on thirdgen have done it. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

13. DesertDueler

DesertDueler 1/2 ton status

Say bye bye to that t-5 tranny /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif They only hold up to 350 ft-lbs of tq. That is why all the mustang guys swap out the t-5s to the world class or TKO. That is also the reason GM never put a 350 in front of the t-5, becasue they know they would blow up.

Dan

14. jjlaughner

15. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    ebay auction, just what you need!

[/ QUOTE ]

Gee, at $2500 starting bid, wonder why there are NO bids???? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

16. jjlaughner

/forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

17. earl87gta

earl87gta 1/2 ton status

It can be done cheap,
    My GTA origanaly Befor SPDC made the vortec tpi base had had a tpi with those heads. I can tell you how to do it just pm me if you are iteressted. Just so you know my gta has a small block 400 30 over with fastburn heads it has used both a modified tpi base and the SDPC base Im using SLP runners and a 52mm TB and I have the LT4 hot cam kit in it.
    Earl