Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Does an NP205 shifter use a bushing

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Yukon Jack, Oct 12, 2004.

1. Yukon Jack

Yukon Jack 1/2 ton status

Does an NP205 shifter use a bushing where you insert a bolt to attach it to the transfer case/tranny adapter or does a bolt just go through the mounting hole with metal to metal contact?

If it uses a bushing, where can I get a replacement, parts store or do I need to go to GM?
    [​IMG]

2. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

metal to metal and the shifter has a zerk fitting there for it. the bolt(I still can't find it,LOL) has a collar(no threads in that area)

3. Yukon Jack

Yukon Jack 1/2 ton status

Thanks, don't worry about the bolt, I can source a bolt and get rid of the threads if I need to - just wasn't sure if I needed a bushing.

4. arq

arq 1/2 ton status

depends on the shifter. i've seen some that do have a rubber bushing on there. the one on the pic does not seem to be the one with a bushing, it's kinda noticable. where can you get those shifter bolts with zerk fittings on them???

ARQ>

5. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

mine had the zerk in the shifter, Yukon has it now. If ya need the zerk in the bolt I made my last bunch for my springs. just drill and tap and install a zerk if need be.

6. atho

atho 1/2 ton status

my 1970 NP205 doesnt have one and my 1980 does have one. maybe its only on newer setups?

7. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

There were nylon bushings in the one on my 205 I put in my 74 K20,similar to the ones in the brake pedal cluster.My bolt broke off in the adapter when I tried to force it out of 4 lo one day,so I had to drill it out and re-tap it--I made the hole 1/2x13 instead of 7/16(too small and wimpy for me)and I used a needle bearing I had in a drawer full of stuff that looked like a u-joint cap,only open on both ends--you could probably get a bronze bushing at home depot or a hardware store that would fit.I greased mine when I assembled it,but it had no zerk fitting in either the handle or the bolt.I'd think drilling the bolt for a fitting would made it very prone to breakage--I also think that bolt needs a brace under its head to another bolt on the adapter or tranny tail,just having a bolt sticking out of a blind hole isnt very sturdy,watch it bend when you try to shift it and you'll see what I mean.I used a grade 8 bolt,and I hope it never breaks--it was hard enough drilling the original one out! /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

8. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

From what I've seen on mine (1974 model) if you run without the wave washer, the shifter rattles, and if you take up the slack with flat washers, eventually that works the whole bolt loose.

Later ones used the wave washer as well, at least '85-88.