Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

does any places sell new fuse panals?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by bryguy00b, Mar 21, 2003.

1. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

like the question says...i dont know what to do about my radio fuse socket on mine..does any one have a picture of what it should look like..like a picture of a fuse panal? mine is like burnt out or something..

2. Skigirl

Skigirl 1/2 ton status

Check out Painless wiring. The same fuse panel is also sold thru LMC's catalog.

3. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

cool! thanx...how hard are they to replace anyway? is it pretty much unplug everything...replace it..and plug everything back in?

4. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

http://painlesswiring.com/catalogframe.htm

like something like this would be good you think? would this be a direct swap type thing? also would a trailer brake termanal have anything to do with this stuff not working...cuase this truck had some box for a trailer brake or something on it..we took it off...but im not sure if that had anything to do with it or not..

5. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

guess the link doesnt work..click on fuse locks..its the one on top..

6. Skigirl

Skigirl 1/2 ton status

Yea, either the 12 circuit or the 18. Any wiring job is kind of a PITA, and I don't know that it's an unplug / plug situation. I think that these fuse blocks have wires attached to run to the power sources or loads and if you are going thru all the trouble to replace the fuse block, might as well make sure the wires themselves are good too.

Recently someone on here did this job... you might want to search for painless wiring or fuse block or fuse panel.

7. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

i dunno..i dont think it comes with any wires..if its to hard i wont even bother..but i really whish i knew why these arent wokring..(radio and horn)

8. Okiemuddog

Okiemuddog 1/2 ton status

I have a factory fuse block from my 79 Cheyenne K5 if you are interested, I will take $15 and you pay shipping for it. Them painless wiring is far from painless, should have been named P.I.T.A. harness. I know because I am currently tryin to get mine wired. They are not just unplug and plug, There are a lot of generic wires in the harness that are a pain to find there home.

9. Skigirl

Skigirl 1/2 ton status

You're right, the block is prewired but you terminate the wires to the block circuits and attach. Not bad. But depending on what's wrong with the radio and horn, this may not solve your problem.

I would ask HarryH3 or Grim Reaper about possibilities (there are some other very electrically talented guys on the board too, I just know these two well) before you dive into a new fuse panel.

10. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

so what you mean you cut the wires and hook them up to the new box? i dunno what else to do though cause my radio fuse socket is like burnt up or something..there is something broken of liek part of a fuse and i cant put another fuse in it! i would take a pic but i cant find the damn wire for my camera...

11. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

how much ARE they ayway?(fuseboxes)

12. Skigirl

Skigirl 1/2 ton status

Yea, from the description on the fuse panel catalog entry, it looks like you snip the existing wires and reconnect to the new fuse panel.

For the radio, you could bypass the fuse panel completely and just wire from either an ignition hot plug on the fuse panel or constant hot on the fuse panel and install an inline fuse. Then it wouldn't matter about the radio. Don't know what else is on that fuse. Do you have a schematic? If not MJ has a bunch on his site, if you search for wiring diagrams his responses and link should pop up.

I think those fuse panels are a little pricey - I bought a 3 circuit add on panel and I think it was over $50. I thought those full ones were $400+.

13. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

shematic whats that?

and wow..if it cost that much forget it lol! i do have some other panal next to it...one panal has a the hazerd flasher on ti and the other has the signals. i dont think they came liek that stock...but i dont know how to wire the radio to another socket...i would need directions on how to do that...i would like to wire it to a constent hot..(so i could listen to it with ignition of)

14. Skigirl

Skigirl 1/2 ton status

Is your radio stock or aftermarket? What year rig?

15. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

its a sony cd...in a 86 pickup...the guy said it did work...but now it does nothing..and the horn doesnt work either...someone told me they share the same circut or something...

16. Skigirl

Skigirl 1/2 ton status

Dunno if it's the same circuit, but do a search or check MJ in the user list and should be some wiring diagrams, or post the question and someone should know.

You can wire that stereo and not use the fuse panel. Don't know how the horn is wired but I guess if it was in the fuse panel it could be wired with an inline fuse too. Never had to mess with the horn on mine (yet).

If you take a look at the wires from the stereo and let me know colors I may be able to tell you where they go. Most of them are pretty standard. Then if it doesn't work, it would be the stereo, not the fuse. I have to go out of town early Monay, but if I can help between now and then, I'd be happy to. Otherwise there are many others who can.