Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Does anybody else get Ridiculed at 4x4 Meets?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Depdog, Nov 7, 2000.

1. Depdog

Depdog 1/2 ton status Author

One of the questions on another post brought this out. Whenever I go to 4x4 shops and big Meets, I head for the ramp, all kinds of folks are usually gathered around and lots of them make snide comments and remarks about "he is gonna ramp that thing" "haha, look its a K5" all kinds of stuff like that. I just smile and keep on moving. Then when I start up the ramp, jaws drop, comments go from ridicule to "OH MY GOD, LOOK" Then they all want to come up and look and check it out and ask TONS of questions.

Just wonder if any of you get the same kind of thing of if its just down here in the South.

Depdog

<font color=blue>"Lead, Follow, or BECOME the Trail"</font color=blue>

http://depdogsk5.coloradok5.com

2. Zepplin

Zepplin 1/2 ton status

I never had my K5 on a ramp but when I drive around town with the top off of my 74 I practically cause accidents because everyone is staring at me. I just love all the attention I get when I have the top off. Especially when I am at a light next to a little "jweep"! They always look intimidated in their little POS "jweep"

Dazed and Confused in a 74 Blazer

Zeppelin

3. Same thing here in ohio dep-dog.Its always why don't you just buy a jeep!!! When I was in attica this summer I had kind of the same thing happen on the rti ramp there.They were all ragging me about the truck untill I drove almost to the top of the ramp!That shut them all up.Later on in the day after some pretty rough trails they were talking about how good the big monster was doing.LOL When I was on one of the last hill climbs at the end of the day I get to the top and one of the folks with a tj locked at both ends said i quote (damn you make this look to easy)LOL
    I love to put it right back in there face,Hell next summer I'll have one ton diffs cross over steering and locked at both ends.I can't wait to see how they react to that.LMAO

IF IT AINT BIG IT AINT BAD!!!!!!

4. TX Mudder

TX Mudder 1/2 ton status

Just how far are you going up the ramp, anyway?
    In my part of TX, we don't have much in the way of rocks, so articulation is 2nd to tire size/horsepower.
    It is lots of fun to watch a jeep winch out of a mudhole, then I go basically idle through it like it's a little puddle.
    Then, you go through it again full steam, just for the mess it makes.
    -- Mike

5. ken

ken 1/2 ton status

Well, if you look at it, most serious rock crawling articulating Jeeps are using full width (K5 width) axles. This provides more leverage, thus more articulation and ramp score (which BTW, really means nothing, its just kinda fun!). Guess that's why when we "loosen up" our GMs, they ramp quite well.

ken

6. realsquash

realsquash 1/2 ton status

Yeah, there is no love! Like when u come up to a challenging obstacle and after 3 jeeps try it you give it a go and nobody cares, they just move on? Yeah, happens all the time. Just gotta prove them wrong! Actions speak louder than words.

This is why jeeper/fullsizers don't always get along!

Squash
    http://www.trailrunners4x4.org/users/realsquash

7. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

I had a similar experiance, I whent wheelin at a local park and meet up with a few others in jeeps and toyotas.After doing some trails and hills they decided to go up the creek bed for some rocks and they said "Are you sure you want to fallow us?"
    Daaa Ya I'm going, lets go! During that crawl session the spoter was also the lead jeep and he was litterally bowing to my K5 during the trail ride!! More than once too!! Seams they just think a jeep is the only thing that can wheel! Daaaa OPEN das eyeballs, it's a Bird, No a plane, It's a K5/Blazer (or Jimmy)LOL [​IMG]

72K5[​IMG]Led Zeppelin[​IMG]Rock ON![​IMG]
    http://www.burt4x4.coloradok5.com

8. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

I know how you feel Depdog! I get that all the time!

Especially now since there is a rival club in the area. We had one guy leave our club and start his own. He even came up with an "original" name. Our name is IN TOO DEEP and his clubs name is Never Deep Enough...
    Anyhow, on Thursdays during the summer a local restraunt has 4x4 night with a mud pit. Our club has gone down there since it has started and most of the time we were the only people there.
    Well now they have this mud pit and the other club gets down there more than we do. They get stuck in there and have hard times with 35's and 33's in Blazers, p/u's, 'Yotas, etc.. So when we went down one night the had put more dirt in the pit and most everyone was getting stuck.
    So when I got there, the other club kept saying go this way, you'll get stuck, WRONG! Walked right throughit without gettin on the pedal hard. then they said go through the other side(the pit has 2 lanes) so I walked through that side to. then the had me go through both sides the opposite way, same results walked right through it. Then to be a smart ass I went through it backwards! No problems!!! Everyone was cheering then!!!
    So I start pulling out and one guy comes up and says, "go in the one side until the middle and then drive over the center hump and drive out the other side.
    And of course, did that with no problem also!
    So at the end, the guy who thought I would definately get stuck and he could laugh gave me a big smile and a thumbs up!

i get this kind of talk from Jeepers too! My one friend is a Jeep fanatic and now he is talking about getting a Blazer because how mine goes damn near where I want it to!

Sorry about the length!!

Mike [​IMG]
    See <font color=green>EMMETT</font color=green> -&gt; http://emmett.coloradok5.com

9. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Yeah I have had it happen a few times. Best one was when I was still wheeling my bone STOCK 79 (now my wifes LOL) on 32's with a factory Gov Loc. We were running some trails at the now defunct Alatoona site. Had this hill that was just plain JEEP wrong. First truck in line was a 79F150 with a Detroit in it. It made it without much trouble. There ware about 20 trucks between me and the front and most were jeeps. EVERY JEEP had problems didn't matter if it was locked in the back, most got pulled.
    Had some young punk that was on his first ride with the club and thought he knew it all. He's standing at the base of the hill about 20ft away talking to his buddy. His truck is about 3 behind me. He's looking my way and smarts off "Ohh god how the hell we going to pull that big POS chevy up that hill when we can't get the jeeps up". Well it's my turn in line and I idle up next to him. I'm face to face and tell him "See ya at the top.. This old POS chevy doesn't need help like your Jeep will"
    I gave it about half throttle got past the really bad section and stop. Hang out the window and wave to the kid. See ya at the top! and Drove the rest of the way up without spinning a tire. Shut him up pretty quick. I watched from the top as he made 7 attempts at the hill. He ended blowing a hub. We were using a spare winch cable with a strap to pull people up since it was such a long hill. You couldn't see the truck that was pulling. I volentered to drag his sorry butt up the hill. I backed down to get him so he could see who was pulling him. Hooked a 30ft strap to him. He's just shaking his head. I gave it all it had and dragged him like a poodle on a leash to the top throwwing rocks and dirt the whole way.
    He never came back and ran with the club.
    My club is BIG. 65 families with about 70 trucks total. There is only 4-5 trucks that can beat mine on the ramp. One is a wrangler with Warn Coil over syustem and about $40k tied up in the truck. another is a newer Jeep with about $40k in it and then a couple of Sprung over jeeps.
    I ramp a 752 on a 25deg ramp.

Diging it in the dirt with my K5's
    Grim-Reaper
    http://grimsk5s.coloradok5.com/

10. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

Yup, I know what it's like! My club is probably about 80% Jeeps, so the first trailride I showed up to everyone was giving me weird looks and the typical "you gonna take that thing on the trail??". After a couple of rides they changed their minds, especially after I pulled a broken down TJ for 4 hours through one of our harder trails, and now I get invited to go on the "special invitation" rides that typically requires 33" tires and 1 locker. I have definitely pulled more Jeeps out then I have gotten pulled myself. I am also the only fullsize in our club that goes trailriding on a regular basis.

11. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

They had a ramp contest here not that long ago. Let me tell you there were some awefully flexy Jeeps, zuk's, and TLC's. There were only 2 fullsize Chevy's and one fullsize Ford. One of the organizers of the event has a Jimmy like mine. I'd never been on a ramp before and he was giving me all the little pointers and cheats that every one else seemed to use. He said that being as we were the minority there I had to make a good go of it. I didn't do to bad 800 on a 20 degree ramp. Problem is that other than a 4" lift and 35's my suspension is pretty stock. Since then I've seen some wonderful ideas here that would help out in the flex department. Almost all the other trucks that ramped were very heavily modified, many of them ramping over 1000 on the 20 degree and over 900 on the 30 degree ramp.
    Nobody made any comments on my Jimmy though, everyone was pretty cool.
    I have had some stupid comments and the like out on the trail before though. I went mudding with a friend and some guys we met there. They spent all day taking me to holes they thought for sure I would get stuck in. The last hole I finally did get stuck but not before getting a chance to yank my buddy's 81 Cherokee with 39's out first [​IMG]. Its always kind of tough following someone with 39's when you run 35's.
    When these guys with Jeeps snicker I ignore it. I know better, if I don't mind a little body damage I'll go almost anywhere they can fit, and usually do better on some obstacles than they can.

Rene

[​IMG]

12. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

Mike, that hole at Quaker Steak I saw the week before I moved out west.........looked for ya that night, but you didn't make it. DID see a nice short bed Chevy (Blue) with about 6-8" of lift, about 14" wide mudders and a 4 speed walk through that hole repeatedly. Either side. Then this Fo$d goes in the side closest to the road, gets stuck immediately. Throws water and mud everywhere.......finally hook him up to the wrecker and out he comes. Big Blue Chevy goes back in SAME LINE the dude got stuck on, idled his way through it.........all the way......got out, started making the u-turn to go back through, hits the gas, and sprays the Turd with mud. Man, almost pissed my pants it was so funny!!!!!!!!!!!

<font color=black>'79 - 406 TPI -<font color=orange> K5#5 - <font color=blue>See it at---&gt;http://www.blazzinor.coloradok5.com

13. Bruiser

Bruiser 1/2 ton status

Have never been to a meet

and only just today had my blazer in four wheel drive for first time :P (Thanks to Stephan Van Leir for sending me a front driveshaft) Moving to Idaho and wanted it ready for snow and was doing some research and found a club up there (Norther Idaho Trailblazers) So I e-mailed the president and his reply said something along the lines. "Let us know when you get settled we don't have any full size in club but sure you can come on some of the snow runs" seems to me looking on here I should be able to keep up with there jeeps as long as I get the right equipment :P Someday to broke right now. Did get mud all over the side of my blazer for the first time. Does make you smile big when people gawk. :P

Vincent Michels
    1978 Blazer
    Bruiser (Frost white/Black top/ Light Blue interior)

14. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

And the funniest thing is that the more serious the Jeep is, the more Chevy parts it will be running. A built Jeep will run a small block chevy engine, Chevy Tranny, Chevy T-case and Chevy axles, because they know that the Jeep parts are not up to the challenge.

How is it that a rig that comes with a 2.8L can be considered the best 4x4?

New 4x4 driver: "A lot of money in that truck, eh?"
    Me: "Oh, about 1/4 of a new one"

15. White Knight

White Knight 1/2 ton status

Down here Texas area toys and heaps are the rage, and ole wide Glide(K-5's) are considered dinosaurs, well I run basically a stock K-5 with poly bushings, a built 350, 31 " Bridgestone Duelers MT's...and the damn thing has gone anywhere the locked up heaps have been and some places they haven't...I'm not bragging but I am very PROUD of my (wide glide)[​IMG] it wasn't bought to off-road and everything on it I have made/fab'd or did the labor to install...totaling around 3400 dollars and I've pulled rigs costing 8x's as much....way I see it if if they wanna laugh let 'em...then when push gets to shove and the K-5 is out in front costing less and breaking down less than that! Then who is gonna laugh then!!!![​IMG][​IMG]

White Knight