Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Does anybody else have a 3-speed manual?

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by aksidentproan, Mar 28, 2002.

1. aksidentproan

aksidentproan 1/2 ton status

I was just wondering if I'm the only one with a 3-speed manual or the only one dumb enough to admit it?

Evan

2. My K20 has the heavy duty three on the tree. It is getting dumped just as soon as I find a transmission jack to help me pull it out and replace it with an CH465 that was given to me. Can't wait! The linkage on the three speed is nothing but trouble for me. Adjust it and its fine for a while then starts to bind up real bad.

3. Dave_S

Dave_S Registered Member

My "other" 71 is 3 on the tree... but that's coming out and will be replaced with an automatic.

Dave

4. aksidentproan

The previous owner of my truck converted it to floor shift and it feels quite good but the first gear ratio is to high with stock gears and 33's. I'm trying to get an SM465 or SM420, which ever i come accross first so i dont have to upgrade my gears. Just use a little bit of that "L" gear/forums/images/icons/tongue.gif

Evan

5. Blazer1970

Blazer1970 1/2 ton status

I had a 3 speed / Dana 20. Swapped out for a 465/205 a couple of years ago. I kinda miss the column shift though - younger folks today have never seen one before. They used to wonder why I kept shifting my automatic. The 3 speed also had a worn out 3rd gear sychro, so I had to double clutch on the 2-3 shift to keep it from grinding. That REALLY confused people.

6. aksidentproan

how difficult was the swap from the 3-speed to the sm465? Thanks,

Evan

7. 72THING

72THING 1/2 ton status

When I started work on the THING, it had the 3 spd (floor shifted) and the Dana 20 t-case. Most people never heard of this combo. All I can say is that a 3 spd, 3:07 gears, and 33's are the worst combination. The 465/205 conversion was easy. I even left the bellhousing and clutch assembly bolted to the engine and just slid the new tranny/t-case into place. I think I had to move the crossmember. You'll need to modify your driveshafts and do some sheetmetal work on the tranny tunnel.

Will

8. 72Blazerod

72Blazerod 1/2 ton status

My '72 has the stock SM 465 and I have 3:73 gears with 33" tires. I never use my 'Low" gear unless I am stuck or need to pull something. I find it just too low for traffic light to traffic light driving. I always start it in 2nd unless I am in bumper to bumper traffic.