Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Does anybody had a problem with an ESC Sensor or module ?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by surfer, Jul 20, 2000.

1. surfer

surfer Registered Member

I recently bought a 90 model K5 which looked pretty nice to me but having some electronic problems with it since I bought. First of all I should tell you that I'm not a mechanic but most of the mechanic's in Turkey also doesn't now anything about these kind of sensor things. (Or they prefer not to help) Anyway, I was having problems with the engine, as soon as car speeds up and transmission changes the gear to 4th the "service engine soon" lamp used to come out and the car was definitely not giving any power on 4th gear and automatically gearing down to 3rd. When we plugged that diagnostic computer to the car it showed that there was an oxygen sensor or module problem. So they changed the sensor. Now the car works better but stil have an error message saying "ESC Sensor or module problem". And they don't know what it does or where that is.

If anybody knows anything about this sensor please E-Mail me freely.

Thanks...

2. Steve_87K5

Steve_87K5 1/2 ton status

Turkey! I drove my '80 K5 from Iskenderun all along coast line to Cannakale. What a beautiful drive this was.

ESC: Electronic Spark Control. This is a piezioelectric (microphone if you will) screwed into the engine block water drain. It is connected to a module mounted on the intake manifold in the 1980s models. If your K5 is an EXPORT mode, you will need to tel me exactly what your engine has. The EXPORT models are very different. If you tap the block with a hammer (to simulate engine knock) with the engine running you should be able to see the ignition timing retard while using a timing flash. I had to use "super" in Turkey in my '80 (8.5:1 CR) I tried to use "normal" but the knock was too much. Do you have fuel injection or carb? If carb, do you have electrical wires coming from it? Is there a compter box behind the glove box? There were many variations in the Mid East and African EXPORT engine configurations. Maybe yours is "federal" from US MIL source? Is there a catalytic conv on it?

SteveB

3. realsquash

realsquash 1/2 ton status

Don't forget to add leaded-fuel models! It's prolly a TBI system with a 747 computer. I'd like to know the actual code that it sets, i can give you the algorithm that it used to set the code so we can figure out exactly what it is doing. Also, after setting a code you need to unhook your battery for a few minutes, which will reset the memory in the ECM, and clear that code.

Squash
    http://www.trailrunners4x4.org/users/realsquash

4. surfer

surfer Registered Member

Dear Steve it's so lovely to talk somebody who knows how beautiful those areas are. I want to do the same sort of trip with my new K5 as soon as I convince my self that it won't make any trouble on the road. Were you a a soldier in the Nato Base ? Because most of the guys in Turkey used to have these great stuff to drive. Can you believe they are still selling those cars (and ofcourse second hand spares) around Ankara.

Ex owner of my car told me that he was the second owner of the car. The first owner was a famous guy who bought this car for the prestige of it I guess. (Just like the guys who buy Navigators and Expeditions these days!!!) So this car was imported to Turkey somehow. It's a 1990 model but imported here on 1992 as far as I can see on it's papers. As I told before I really don't know many things about engines but my K5 has a 350 TBI engine. It's working with unleaded gas so there must be catalitic converter but I'll also check that again. (When we took the air filter off I saw those tiny injectors underneath.) On the car it also says injection.

I should check for the computer I'm not so sure about it but 90% there is.

I'll print your mail and talk it with my machanic friends and come back to you with as much data as possible.

When I checked the fuel consumption I could only go 250-300 mile with 110lt. tank. But this was before the oxigene sensor. We also put an LPG system on the car. (The gasoline is very but very expensive in Turkey 1$ per liter so LPG is a good alternative for me.) Whould it make any harm to the engine on the long run ?

Thanks for all the info and nice to meet you I hope you come to Turkey again.

Kerem

5. surfer

surfer Registered Member

As I told to Steve It's a unleaded TBI 350 model, how can get the computers model number ? They are using a diag computer to see and diagnose the error codes on the car. The thing asks the model and chasis number and it automatically choses the right car. Do you need the error code on the diag computer ? I can tell them to put the computer on again and get the code.

Thanks.

Kerem

6. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

Check your magnetic pick up coil in the distributor, that will also give you a code 42. Lack of power and hesitation in fourth gear or under a load is a symptom of a bad mag pick up. Yoy have to pull the dist to change it. Also change your fuel filter if you haven,t already done so.
    The electronic spark controll module is located under the air cleaner to the right of the throttle body. It is a thin square black box

7. realsquash

realsquash 1/2 ton status

Kerem,

I need to know the error code number that the diagnostic computer shows (like a 43 or a 42 or whatever it is). I can then tell you precisely why it is setting that code, and offer some remedies.

If you have an oxygen sensor, you *CANNOT* run leaded gasoline. It will foul the sensor very quickly and it will not work properly. The systems that are *made* for leaded gas do not even have an oxygen sensor.

I already know what the 'engine computer' is, so you do not need to find it's part number.

Squash
    http://www.trailrunners4x4.org/users/realsquash

8. Steve_87K5

Oxygen sensor with leaded is not a good idea. This is true. But I ran my TBI '87 with a 747 ECU on leaded for 3 years while I was in MidEast. I expected the system to set a code. I watched the fuel consumption assuming it would go into limp mode. It never did. It was in the 450 millivolt +/- range. O2 sensor finally died a few years later.

SteveB

9. Steve_87K5

Kerem...this is a good book you should get:

"How To Repair & Modify Chevrolet Fuel Injection" 175 pages.
    by Ben Watson. c1991 ISBN 0-87938-502-2
    Published by Motorbooks International Publishers and Wholesalers,
    PO Box 2, 729 Prospect Avenue, Osceola, WI 54020 USA.

I bought mine at Foyle's in London. Maybe Amazon.com has it, I don't know.

Pamukkale was nice...soaking in the hot springs drinking a beer. Then a good Adana kabob...

SteveB

10. Steve_87K5

Kerem, this attachment is a copy of a readout from my '87K5. It was obtained by using DOS software from DiaCom running on a laptop computer.

SteveB