Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Does Anybody know the tap size of an O2 Sensor?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Mudzer, Sep 13, 2002.

1. Mudzer

Mudzer 1/2 ton status Author

I have a friend with a Z71 Truck and the Oxygen Sensor bung is stripped out on the exhaust pipe. Since I dont have a welder nor the time to mess with this much I need to find a tap to chase the threads, then install the new 02 sensor. They appear to be 1/2" diameter and I would assume they are NPT. I found Granger has a tap which is 1/2" and a pitch of 14. Does anybody know the exact specs on an O2 sensor so I can buy the appropriate tap?

Thanks,

Neil

2. SkulzNBonz

SkulzNBonz 1/2 ton status

1/2 " diameter would equate to 1/4" NPT, but without seein' it I can't say for certain. Hope this helps.

John

3. jcg

jcg 1/2 ton status

I'm not sure of the actual thread pitch but I know they're not pipe thread cause the sensor has a crush washer on it that bottoms out on the bung. You should be able to measure the threads on the new sensor. There's a very good chance they're metric too, since most engine components are these days.

4. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

There are unversal o2 sensors out there with self cutting threads.

5. Mudzer

Mudzer 1/2 ton status Author

Ok, I borrowed a tool from a local shop. THey said this O2 has the same threads as most commmon spark plugs. It looks right, so I will compare threads then clean the bung-hole. /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

6. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Yep, it is the size of most spark plugs. So it sounds like you're on track. /forums/images/icons/cool.gif If the bung is totally wasted, you can go to a decent hardware store and buy a hex nut that has the correct threads. Then split the nut in half with a bandsaw or cutoff wheel and weld one half to the exhaust pipe. That's how I made the one that's on my K5 and it cost something like 40 cents instead of the $8.95 that most places want for a ready made weld-on bung.

Don't forget to dab some anti-sieze on the sensor threads before re-installing the sensor. Makes it much easier to change next time. /forums/images/icons/cool.gif