Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Does anybody run General Grabber MTs?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Can Can, Feb 24, 2004.

1. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

I might be able to get a decent deal on a set of 33x12.50 General Grabber MTs. Does anybody run these tires? Has anybody heard how they compare to other MTs on the market?

2. bablazer73

bablazer73 1/2 ton status

I have a set of 31's on my plow truck. I heard they are "ok" trail tires, But i gotta tell you, They are great as snow tires! I couldn't believe how much traction I got with them. Enough to stall the engine if i didn't hit the clutch fast enough!!

3. Can Can

That's good to hear. Snow and ice traction is my main concern up here. Grabbers are also studable to give even better traction on ice- that's why I'm considering them.

4. BurbLover

BurbLover 1/2 ton status

When I used to work part time for Montgomery Wards in the auto section, I used to sell alot of them here in Colorado Springs. Alot of return customers. Said the were great in winter. Most of the people didn't wheel, just used as winter tire. They also semed tro last pretty decent.

5. Can Can

Hmmmmmm........all of these comments about their ability to handle snow makes me think I might go for them. Any other feedback?

6. BurbLover

BurbLover 1/2 ton status

I don't know about you, but I would probably also see about having them siped. Most MT's have bigger knobs, and siping helps out a great deal in hard packed snow/ice. At least I could easily tell the difference when I had my BFD MT's siped. I could take off from a stop in 2hi on an uphill slop without spinning.

7. CyberSniper

CyberSniper 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I ran Grabber APs. They were a great tire and I got around 45,000 miles out of them between the two trucks. I'd buy them again if I needed a set of general all purpose tires like what you'd put on a daily driver/family camping rig. They were surprisingly good in the snow, the sand, and not too bad in the mud.

I don't know about the MTs though.

Keep in mind that these are pretty dated tires. My Dad has a magazine with an article on the ATs, APs, and MTs from like 1989 and they were an old tire then.

8. gmule

gmule 1/2 ton status

Good luck finding round ones. Most of the ones I have seen roll like eggs

9. weisel

weisel 1/2 ton status

good on snow when I ran a set of worn out 35s, but once I hit the rocks I lost them to two sidewall tears, and two tears through the tread!

10. ankarback

ankarback 1/2 ton status

I used to run them on my blazer. They are good in snow but awful om ice, but you can put studs in them and that would improve the handling on ice.
    They are also very rough on the road but as a offoradtire they are ok.
    I´ve bought BF Goodrich AT´s instead and I think they are much better allround and even much better in the winter.

11. joez

joez 1/2 ton status

had a set on my Toyota for a little over 60K miles, they wore better and balanced easier than the POS BFG's that are on it now. The BFG's are at a little over 35K, and two are about slicks. The other 2 arent much better.

12. scotto0609

scotto0609 1/2 ton status Premium Member

ran them on my blazer ten years ago ,they were a great tire for the price! /forums/images/graemlins/crewcab.gif

13. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I ran 35" General Grabber MT's for 3 or 4 years...OK in mud, OK in snow, wore pretty good but they are really rough on the road. I've had mine balanced at least 3 times and they still ride 5 times rougher than my unbalanced 39.5's.

IMO, stay away from the Grabbers.

rene

14. BranndonC

BranndonC 3/4 ton status

15. Diesel Dan

Diesel Dan 1/2 ton status

Last summer I bought a set brand new. They balanced with relatively little weight, inside of rims only. They are quite and ride nice all the way to 75mph. I was surprised they worked better in the sand than the M/T baja belted tires that I had taked off. Can't comment on snow, I put the truck into storage every winter. A co-worker used to use them on his truck, plow truck also, and he got 3-4 years of use out of them. I have had really good luck with my M/Ts and really good luck with the sets of APs as well. Unfortunately they don't offer a 35x12.50R16.5 AP anymore. I would have run those on the sub.

As new tires I recommend them. Used, who knows how they were treated.

16. NoSmog73

NoSmog73 1/2 ton status

I loved mine (M/T'S) BUT there sidewall is weak..I used them in snow/mud/ice/ and they were DD/and I got good miles out of them also...They do grab and wear very good...Just weak sidewalls...

17. evilk5

evilk5 Registered Member

Ihave a set of 35's and they are a great tire for the money. I've had them for around three years and the have about 70% still on the. Hard to balance. Next set of tires 37 MTR's or TSL's.