Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Does anyone else ever get sick of being stabbed in the back?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Russell, Jan 24, 2007.

1. Russell

Russell LB7 Tahoe Status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

So, if you guys have been reading in the posts in the Garage, me and a "buddy" had decided we were gonna build ourselves trail rigs, so we went and bought a K5 half and half with the intention of using parts from it to convert my stepside to 4x4. We were then originally planning on selling the K5 as a 2wd to try and re-coup some costs. I was getting pretty excited to be able to go trail riding with a good buddy of mine, something I've been hoping to get into for a while now.

However, I was talking with my father, who is a very wise man told me it would probally be best to keep the K5 4x4, and convert the stepside using a different parts rig so we had two trucks, one for each of us.

So yeah, I feel my stepside is worth about 1500 as is, and about 2500 with all of the various parts I'd collected to restore it to sell next spring. However, trying to be a good guy, I told my bud that if he "sold" me his half of the K5 (230 bucks), then I would "sell" him my stepside, less engine and transmission, so he had his own truck to build (I bought the stepside for 300 last year around this time, paid 100 for the engine, and 300 for the transmission). He seemed alright with that, but fortunately, we never got around to writing a bill of sale yet.

So, I have spent a few hundred bucks on both my half of this K5 (230) and another 250 or so on diffs, 4x4 frame mounts, and a new 700r4 since the one in the K5 is busted, and today my "buddy" blindsides me with a "I want my money back for my half of the K5, or I want your stepside, you choose, or else".

No explanation why, just that he wants his money, now. Fortunately, I felt that something of this nature may possibly occur in the future, and was able to make sure that it was my signature in the buyer's box of the bill of sale on the K5. I didn't think it was gonna happen so soon, and was expecting that something like this might happen months down the road when the truck was done...

So, my "buddy" of over 6 years out of nowhere stabs me in the back. Thats just great, really makes a guy feel like all the time he has spent with this guy was a complete waste of time.

Now, I have a little something called honor, and I will pay this kid his 230 bucks back, as soon as I can afford to, but it still really makes a guy depressed to think that he can't trust anyone, even his best bud from the last 6 years =/

I dunno, I'm just really upset, and don't know what to do anymore. I just listed my stepside in the local trader, and hope it sells so I can pay him back, then I have to fix up this stupid K5, and sell it too.

Aye. What a waste of time and money :(

2. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

I'm only sick of the backstabbers I work with at my job.

3. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

You sure that there is not some reason that he needs cash right away? People get into bad positions and do strange things.

4. 4by4bygod

4by4bygod 1/2 ton status

nothing ever comes out of nowhere.. what was the nature of your friendship with this guy? I would never do a deal like this with someone, unless he proved his honor / character / trustworthiness in a variety of situations beforehand.. the fact you " knew something like this might happen" should have been a warning not to proceed.

on the other hand, was he just upset you let your dad talk you into changing the nature of your agreement?

Just asking.

5. 3 on the tree

3 on the tree 1/2 ton status

I think there is more going on than you are aware of.
    On the other hand, he could be bailing cause YOU changed the agreement. Sounds like you and your friend need to have a heart to heart and expose the underlying problem.:confused:

6. mikey_d05

mikey_d05 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

I hate people like that, but have never had anyone do something like that for that much money.

The guy I currently wrench and wheel with is pretty cool. Helps me out all the time in exchange for using the garage once in a while. We built him a tube bed recently and he even paid for the wire, gas, and chop saw blades we used. He wanted to strip a parts truck so he paid me for diesel, using my trailer, and washing the tow rig...and another $70 on top of that for the garage and time I spent tearing it apart. :eek1:

That sucks about your friend man, I hope there's another problem you don't know about or there's somebody else that likes to wrench with you that's a little more trustworthy.

7. Russell

Well, he finally came out and told me it was something family related. That makes things a bit better, but his approach was all wrong to say the least.

We had agreed on everything we'd done in the deal up till that point...

However, he had some of my tools in the back of his truck from when we went to go and get the K5. Now he is holding them "ransom" Probally close to 500 bucks worth of tools, over 230 dollars.

8. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

This doesn't sound like a real good friend. Sounds more like an acquaintance, and that you both don't really trust or know each other that well. He doesn't trust you to pay him, therefore holding your tools hostage, and you got the paperwork in your name expecting him to bail or do something like this.

I would pay him, get your stuff back, and move on. Probably not think about another deal with him, though.

9. Russell

I've known him for 6 years, and up until last night, I'd have trusted him with everything. My thoughts for future concern was more in who'd get to drive the truck while offroading, or if he wanted to go with someone else while I wanted to go, or some conflict of interest such as that.

I never expected him to come outta nowhere with both barrels blazing "just cause"

And yeah, he isn't a real good friend. I dunno why I ever thought otherwise.

update:

We have mutually agreed, he takes my tools to his dad's place, goes to work, then finds cash there when he gets home. All said and done

Last edited: Jan 24, 2007
  10. boggerless

boggerless 1 ton status Premium Member

going in on anything,truck,boat,etc. seems to end the same way. friends or family it does not matter.i've seen brothers fight over who gets to use the boat.i've watched customers that grew up together merge companies and now they hate each other.it just doesn't work.give him his loot,then try to remain friends.you have been together a long time.money issuse are not worth loosing someone you have prolly told stuff most don't know.one of my best friends Jonh and i almost quit hanging out over gas money.:eek1: we were together 7 days a week,working on stuff, partying,hell we even worked together for awhile.we took turns driving to work and one day he got a f-250,4x4 with a 460 in it. i jokingly said"i'm not giving you more for gas cuz of the crappy mileage".a week later we were driving separate.:confused: as much as i thought i knew him,i did not think that would piss him off?we are still best friends.we just had to talk about it. sorry for the ramble:laugh:

11. dontoe

dontoe 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Uh............hope there are no photos to go along with that post! :o

12. boggerless

boggerless 1 ton status Premium Member

:haha: :haha: :haha: you sicko Don!!:D

13. dontoe

dontoe 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Kinda describes a recent wheeling trip............IIRC :wink1:

[​IMG]

14. FOR MUD

FOR MUD 1/2 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Thats one of the quickest ways to mess up a freindship...getting money involved!!!!!

15. 88Silverado

88Silverado 1/2 ton status

....Or Married :doah:

16. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

you could become a loner. :thumb:

j

17. Russell

Well, I've got all my tools back, and haven't paid up for the K5. He apologized for how he acted, but I am not entirely sure I want to put more money into this truck with him...

I'll probally just buy him out regardless of his apology, and build it on my own. If he wants to buy a rig, I'll help him build it, but I'm not gonna go halfers with him on anything... Just causes way too much trouble

18. thezentree

thezentree 3/4 ton status

My best friend asked me to go halves on a trail rig with him the other day. It kinda makes sense, because whenever one of us is working on a project, the other is there lending a hand. But I'm afraid something like this would come up and ruin a good friendship, which is why I politely declined.

19. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

After you get stabbed a couple of times the bleeding stops:D.

Ira

20. Russell

heh, doesn't stop the hurt much though!