Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Does anyone else here have to work with a bunch of panseys?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Robert79K5, Aug 3, 2005.

1. Robert79K5

Robert79K5 1/2 ton status

I used to be a diesel and heavy equipment mechanic during college. You could say anyhing you wanted about any subject and it didn't matter.

Now Im a city Planner and I really love my job but I have to say my office building is slap full of a bunch of panseys.
    Everyone drives SUVs that never get taken off road and they just complain about everything. Even the other relatively young guys my age are all afraid of gettin dirty.

I was trying to tell them about how much fun paintball is and a fellow worker is like "paintball!? Robert isn't that a violent sport?!"

I swear these people go home and pet their toy dogs and eat plain oatmeal and meditate on how not to have violent thoughts.

They love it when I pull up with some boggers in the back of my truck. "those sure are some big tires" "what can you do with those?" :rolleyes:

What I wouldn't give to be able to have a coworker here that could just kick back and talk beer guns and trucks. You would think that in an entire office building I wouldn't be the only one.

Im just worried that it's going to start effecting me......... Badly :D

I just want to know that some of you are in the same predicament that I am so that we can be miserable together.

2. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

Exactly the same here. There is one "oversize vehicle" space near the garage. I am the only one, in a building with 500 people, that uses it. :D The looks that my 'Burb gets are great and the most comon question is "what do you do with that?" Of course the answer is "drag racing".

3. cegusman

cegusman 3/4 ton status

Sounds like my work. I am a network admin for a Oil and Gas Consulting company, lots of rich pricks with there BMW's, Porsche's ... and there 500,000 to 1 million dollar homes:rolleyes:. They see pics of my truck and just shake there head.

4. Leper

Leper 1/2 ton status

I will start using "Drag racing" as my answer. My old answer was " scare ppl on the highway"

5. mr_clean

mr_clean 1/2 ton status

You're not alone. Durring lunch yesterday I was calling a gunsmith to inquire about sights for my 30-30 and was dreading having to explain to all the Sierra Club, PETA card toteing, tree hugging coworkers who might have overheard me, how I was going to head up the hill next month in hopes of dropping a buck.

6. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

Same here, although there are a few other engineers that understand. It's not actually the people I work with as much as the people around me in the city (although most people I work with don't get it).
    I got a lot of looks when I was riding the train talking on my cell to a gun safe company trying to figure out what I wanted... I notice people seemed to stare at me more when I read hunting/gun/wheelin magazines on the train, so I stopped reading them there. When I talk about yard work or splitting logs with an ax, I can picture the people that overhear it looking at me like "Why doesn't he just pay someone to do that if he needs to do it?" Some people actually have even said to me "I'm glad I live in the city and don't have to deal with that"... Meanwhile, I do these things as 70% pleasure, 30% necessity...

I'm not as redneck as some of you guys, but the people at/around my job definately make me feel redneck to the core...

7. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

its a gay gay world...

I had a few co-workers at the parts store like that--they had boats,corvettes,etc--but if anything went wrong with them,they would always send it out to be fixed,despite being capeable of doing it --they just didn't want to break a nail,or get dirty! :haha: ...they acted like if they spilled any oil on themselves,they'ed melt!... :rolleyes: I even changed a tire on my 25 year old "bosses" corvette once,because he didn't want to get his new pants dirty(100 dollar a pair yuppie jeans)--he paid me 20 bucks to change it!~he refused to help customers install wiper blades(unless it was a hot looking babe,then he was all over it!)..he was afraid he'd get wet,or cut his wittle fingers!...poor baby!

I hated working "under" him--I'd forgotten more about the auto parts bussiness than he ever knew,but he was always bragging about his counterman skills..I knew for a fact he was stealing money out of the cash drawers,and we'd get blamed!--he was the owners "pet",and nobody could convince them HE was the theif!--he got away with doing squat all day--if I ever told a customer I would not wait on them,I'd get fired--and he loved bossing me around,since I was a lot older than him--

I often got roped into doing HIS work,and the owner would ream ME out for doing HIS job! :doah: .One day a 4x4 enthusiast came in,and wanted to "adapt" a u-joint,he wanted a "conversion" u-joint--he flatly refused to wait on him,saying "I'm not wasting MY time looking in parts books for hours,only to sell you the wrong part,and have you return it in a greasy ripped up box!

The guy knew me from where I formerly worked,and said"no problem,Bob will help me out"--and the kid said "good luck Bob!--better you than ME!"..

I looked up both applications,and found NO conversion joint was available!--but I DID know you could swap the cups off 1 and put them on another--so I went by the dimensional listings in the back of the book,and by selling him 2 u-joints,and swapping 2 cups from one to the other,he had his U-joint!--the other kid gloated"I bet he's back in an hour and wants a refund--I'm telling him to get lost if he does!"...but he returned at 5 O'clock,as I was leaving to go home--and handed me a 6 pack,and shook my hand! :D :bow: --the look on my "bosses" face was priceless,as the customer told him "Only BOB will ever wait on me here from now on,you ******! :haha: :haha: :haha: --I just laughed and walked to my truck.... :p: ..guess "real" men are getting scarcer by the day--most "guys" here are in shirts and ties,and wear perfume and ear rings now,and cant even change their own oil... :surepal: :crazy:
    its a weird world out there now..I see more women (butches!) working on cars than guys,and more guys cooking and playing Mr.Mom than ever before here.. :(

8. mtn. burb

mtn. burb 1/2 ton status

We, the members of CK5 who consider fellow rednecks as the backbone of our beloved country, on the day of our Lord August 3, 2005, do hereby bestow upon you Ratch, the title of redneck.

You are our N.Y.C. REDNECK. :D

Now, please change your title to this on user CP.

9. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

10. speedyvision917

speedyvision917 1/2 ton status

Your def. not alone. I work part time at a restaurant and all the wait staff are women. And the cooks are wanna be pro baseball players that go tanning or think theyre 50 cent. Its funny to see there reactions when i stop in after working landscaping all day, they ask me why or how i can do manual labor, i just laugh. Although there is one guy there who i can relate to but unfortuneatly hes colombian and i cant understand him half the time :doah:

The best part of all is that most of the waitresses think my trucks sexy :cool: :pimp:

11. mud390

mud390 1/2 ton status

I feel sorry for you man! I am not so unfortunate in that just about everyone I work with is involved in something either, automotive, destructive, or otherwise fun. Its either trucks and muscle cars, or imports and bikes. We all get along, jokes aside. It makes for a good fun atmosphere and always something to talk about.

Kris

12. ryoken

ryoken Puppy Fabricator Premium Member GMOTM Winner

well, since i work in a marina, no employees here are the suit and tie type, tho 80% are Jersey, whiney libs, but i'll leave that for another post... ;)

where i see it is my customers... boaters generally fit the description to a T.. website browsing, magazine article reading, know it alls who've never touched a wrench in their life.. we hear a fair amount of "oh, ya just do this, blah, blah" stuff when in reality, they have no clue...

its funny cuz they generally give my boss fits and kiss my butt, cuz they know whos fixing their boat... :haha:

13. txfiremank5

txfiremank5 1/2 ton status

Nope, none of that at my fire station...

We're all pretty much cut from the same mold... no matter the state, city etc..

14. ronnny

ronnny 1/2 ton status

In maintenance and my part to cover is the weld shop. Well even one of the women in the stock room brings in her pics from hunting. My truck on 35's is nowhere near a big truck. Can't say i got that problem.

15. mtn. burb

mtn. burb 1/2 ton status

Oh yeah, I got carried away crowning newyorkin our honorary New York City Redneck, that I forgot to answer.

We pump concrete on heavy stuff, bridges, towers, tilt ups, housing, etc.

No pansy's in sight. :D

16. 89GMCSuburban

89GMCSuburban 1/2 ton status

I'm a diesel mechanic...I love it! Absolutely no taboo topic.

17. Cricket

Cricket 3/4 ton status

That's the exact moment you should have pulled out your PB gun, beaned him right in the forehead with a lime green ball, and then explained how you have become a pacifist.

18. 4by4bygod

4by4bygod 1/2 ton status

For those who don't know, my wife Lisa and I run a carwash and detail shop in the parking garage of a large office complex.

Lots of high dollar foreign cars, kerry supporters, etc. Anyway, one day Lisa calls me to come over to her building so I could help " Spencer" , whose new land rover wouldn't start... I walk over to find him tapping on every plastic black box under the hood. with a MALLET he got from the maintenance people.

I took the mallet away from him, and had him hit the key while I crawled underneath it.. He was grinding away, with no luck. I crawled out, and he asked me what I was doing under there.. I told him I was listening for his fuel pump, and I didn't hear it, and that was his most likely culprit.. he looked at me like I was making it all up, but he called triple A, and sure enough, his fuel pump crapped out, and I think his mallet work broke something else important under there.

Spencer is a vehicle pansy, that's for sure. And he's too proud to admit that he doesn't know anything, which makes him a danger to himself and others.

Tom

19. shewheeler

shewheeler 1/2 ton status

I work in the IT department at a corporate law firm... nuff said :doah: :rolleyes:

20. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

At my work most all of us are hands on guys. Boss #1 built his own mini-escavator from scratch (calls it the alley cat) and used to have a very nice Harley he had modified himself. He doesn't have much time for that sort of stuff now though.

Boss #2 has his own bulldozer at home which qualifies him as a redneck. He doesn't do much mechanical stuff, but he is far from being a pansy.

Even at that both of them occasionally shake their heads when i bring my truck to work. Boss # 1 does like my rollcage though...but likes the fact i own a tube bender even more. :rolleyes:

The head machinist is a bit of a pansy. He doesn't mind getting dirty...but his 'hobby' is gardening and painting pictures. Nice enough guy but he tortures me with 'easy listening/fag pop' on the radio.

The two kids we have there are both pretty good...

Rene