Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Does anyone have a D44 w/ top mounted tie rod

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by BozoWise, May 15, 2002.

1. BozoWise

BozoWise 1/2 ton status

I have a top mounted tie rod on my Dana 44 and it has the tie rod with only one removable end on the pass. side both ends feel sloppy and I would like to replace them. Do I have to buy a new rod since the drivers side does not unscrew from the rod? Can I use my 10 bolt tie rod on the 44? When did chevy put this type of D44 on Subs? It has the top mount tie rod, should have come from the factory with full time hubs, has the threaded strap on the diff u-joint instead of the strap with bolts setup.

2. rock.monkey

rock.monkey 1/2 ton status

My '73 3/4 ton 44 has top mounted tie rods and I used my old ones from my '88 10 bolt with no problems.

3. Beast388

Beast388 1/2 ton status

My '71 Sub has top mounted tie rod ends. It has the tie rod with two threaded removeable ends.

4. ddtoby

ddtoby Newbie

My 8 lug Dana 44 is from a '74 J**P J20 and it is also top mounted, it also only has the one side that you can unscrew, the driver side. I had to cut the passenger side TRE bolt off in order to remove it from the knuckle and am thinking that I am going to have to buy the whole TRE with the long tie rod also. I am hoping just to find a used tie rod from the pick a part place to replace it with.

5. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

6. BozoWise

BozoWise 1/2 ton status

The front has 4.09 gears and the rear is a 4.10 is that ok to run fulltime four wheel drive with the gears not matching?

7. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

Yes, it is fine. In fact it is as close as you will be able to get w/ those axles. You have two different ring gear sizes so it would not be feasable for them to be exactly the same.

8. BozoWise

BozoWise 1/2 ton status

Can I use a 10 bolt tie rod (has the 2 removable ends on the top mounted 44? If so how would I rig a steering stabilzer since the mounting point on the axel is different?