Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Does anyone have a good weight estimate for a '73-'75 Hardtop?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Craig Artzner, Dec 21, 2006.

1. Craig Artzner

Craig Artzner 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Hey all. I am currently plotting out a pulley hoist in my garage to easily remove and replace my '73 Blazer's full-convertible hardtop all by myself. I'm trying to decide how I want to do it and want to get a good estimate (if not a definite figure) of how much the thing weighs. I've been searching the archives for about a half hour now and haven't found a figure yet. Any numbers?

2. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

Well I can get you close:
    350LBS is my estimate.
    I used to take it off myself, on my back, walk it off to the edge of the truck then get down and take it off the truck.
    It wasn't easy but it was feasable.
    There is a post somewhere that was about replacing the top with a soft top and someone mentionned the weight savings. So do a search on that.:D

3. bp71k5

bp71k5 3/4 ton status Premium Member

Mine weighs at least 300lbs. It's a 71 double wall though. The later tops are single wall and probably a little lighter. All I know is that its SUPER HEAVY.

I used 1/2" eye bolt lags screwed into the garage framing to make my pulley system. It works pretty good and hasn't fallen down yet. Most of the weight on my top seems to be near the area behind the doors. I have 4 pulleys in each of the four corners of the top and the two near the back hatch seem to be mostly to keep it balanced.

4. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I have a definitive weight on the factory half top with slider windows. It is 188 lbs. There is no way the roof portion on the full tops is more than 60 or 70 lbs. The most the full top weighs is about 250 lbs, and having muscled my current full top around 250 seems reasonable.

Rene

5. bp71k5

You're probably right for the later model tops. The 1stgen has the back hatch with the glass built in and there seems to be a bunch of metal supports in it. My 300 guess was probably a little overkill.

6. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I think everyone here is confused as he isn't asking about a 1st gen top, but rather an early 2nd gen full top which happens to be a double wall top.

7. Craig Artzner

I always thought the 1st Gen tops were heavier and that THEY were the double wall tops (?). Not only that but they also include the tail hatch which could add weight as said by bp71K5...

I emailed a guy online who was selling a top removal tool (pulley system) for the jeep TJ and he told me that those jeep tops are about 300 pounds and that's what his lift system is rated for...hmmm...I would definitely call that a liberal estimate for a TJ top from what I'm hearing here.

Last edited: Dec 24, 2006
  8. 4X4HIGH

1st gen tops come in BOTH single wall and double wall. All of the 2nd gen tops are double wall.

9. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

A TJ top is roughly 300lbs, it has more reinfocement and the rear hatch is part of it.
    The 73-75 blazer top is not as light as the first gen even without the hatch, it's double wall and is reinforced pretty good.
    I can tell you the front portion is almost as heavy as the rest of it, you can tell from when you have it balanced on your back. :o
    I can hold the half top from a 76 from the front and lift it and put it on the blazer with 4" lift.
    I barely could lift the 73 top on my back up to a stock heigh blazer.
    :eek1:

10. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

There is no way that little roof section weighs anymore than 50 lbs or so...

Rene

11. bp71k5

Are you sure? I almost bought a 74 that had a single wall top. I actually preferred that kind of top since it bolted in different than mine does.

Mine also seems like it has some kind of built-in metal structure right behind the doors since that's where most of the weight seems to be. It really took 4 people to get in back onto the bed when I bought it. It's been hanging on the pulley system ever since.

In any case, the question was how much should the pulley system be able to hold. It sounds like 250lbs minimum is the answer. But I'd plan for much more than that to be safe.

12. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

How do you know it was single, it may look like it is single because the ribs inside make it look like it.
    I had a 73, a 74 and a 75 and they all were double and heavy as hell.

And RENE:
    the front piece has a lot of steel reinforcement for the curve around the glass and the attachment on the front windhsield.

13. bp71k5

Hmm, I didn't look at it that close so it really could have been double wall. The truck was in pretty bad shape even if they guy was asking $800 for it.

hehe, he was soooo hung over when I went to look at it, he didn't know where the keys were and said he cut the mufflers off since "it seemed like a good idea when I was drunk". Looked like he had fun in it though. Anyway that's good info to have if\when I'm looking for another one.

14. AussieK5

AussieK5 1/2 ton status

My 79' top (with glass) tips the bathroom scales at 132 pounds. I suppose you'd add maybe 30-40 extra for the 73' top.

15. 4X4HIGH

How did you weigh it?

16. Craig Artzner

I am going to get a definitive weight for my top once I complete my pulley hoist system. Once the top is suspended, I'm going to get 2 to 4 people to balance the top on a 4x4 wood plank as I lower it onto my bathroom scale in my garage. Of course I'll weigh the 4x4 before I do this so I can subtract that weight. And then we'll see.

17. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

it would be easier to do that on 2 scales, and you just add both numbers, that way there is no way you will exceed the capacity of your scale. :D

18. Craig Artzner

Well, buhlandy's mom got on my scale the other day and she weighs well over 500lbs so I think my scale can handle the weight...:D

19. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

and the balancing act?
    Just easier to balance it on two instead of one.
    :D

20. 4X4HIGH

The easiest way to get close is to weigh the blazer on a public scales then remove the top and weigh the blazer again. This may also come in handy for knowing the weight of your vehicle.