Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Does anyone have a recipe for Sole?

Discussion in 'The Great Outdoors' started by 84gmcjimmy, Apr 12, 2004.

1. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

Hey, I was wondering if anyone has a good recipe for Sole fish? My mom bought a package (frozen) yesterday and wanted to try a different recipe than usual. Thanks 'all!

2. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

That all depends- if its boneless sole, I'd consider making a sole gumbo or sole chili.

Get some fat back diced (or if you dont have that, use bacon, diced). Render out the fat (you only need a tablespoon or two). Some really good saussage with a lot of flavor (diced).

after rendering, turn the heat to high. lightly dust the fish in flour, and pan fry until flakey. (it might get a little messy, since frozen fish will leak out a lot of fluid- use a high sided pan, like a deep dished chicken fryer.) you can also use a larger cast iron dutch oven if you have one, for one pan cooking

After frying, Take fish out- Add diced onions, celery and tomatoes. cook them down a bit in the same pan. Return fat back/bacon/sauusage into pan. Add water and scrape to get all the tasty bits off from the bottom of the pan.

Add your choice of beans- I recommend red kidney beans (use the canned one, it will save you time). Simmer for 20 min

Add your favorite spices (I like some old bay, a bit of chopped garlic/ or garlic powder). I usually toss a jalepeno in for good measure /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif. Then at the very end, Throw fish back in- with the usual stirring, it should break up pretty easily.

Serve with good crusty bread, and a Coors light. This dish also goes amazingly well with one of the more tannic south east australian red wines, as it will be a good complement to the fish flavor, and the pork fat.

Simmer for about

3. jakeslim

jakeslim 1/2 ton status

geez, i always read these in the morning before eating..and am starving like a hungry wolf afterwards /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif sounds good /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

4. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    That all depends- if its boneless sole, I'd consider making a sole gumbo or sole chili.

Get some fat back diced (or if you dont have that, use bacon, diced). Render out the fat (you only need a tablespoon or two). Some really good saussage with a lot of flavor (diced).

after rendering, turn the heat to high. lightly dust the fish in flour, and pan fry until flakey. (it might get a little messy, since frozen fish will leak out a lot of fluid- use a high sided pan, like a deep dished chicken fryer.) you can also use a larger cast iron dutch oven if you have one, for one pan cooking

After frying, Take fish out- Add diced onions, celery and tomatoes. cook them down a bit in the same pan. Return fat back/bacon/sauusage into pan. Add water and scrape to get all the tasty bits off from the bottom of the pan.

Add your choice of beans- I recommend red kidney beans (use the canned one, it will save you time). Simmer for 20 min

Add your favorite spices (I like some old bay, a bit of chopped garlic/ or garlic powder). I usually toss a jalepeno in for good measure /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif. Then at the very end, Throw fish back in- with the usual stirring, it should break up pretty easily.

Serve with good crusty bread, and a Coors light. This dish also goes amazingly well with one of the more tannic south east australian red wines, as it will be a good complement to the fish flavor, and the pork fat.

Simmer for about

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow that sounds really good, I may have to try that! /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

5. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

I was posting it at like 1 am, and it made me hungry! Cant wait to go out to do some fluke fishing off shore.