Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Does Anyone Have An Opinoin On .....

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by big jimmy 91, Nov 21, 2004.

1. big jimmy 91

big jimmy 91 1/2 ton status

Lucas transmission fluid addative.
    Is it just another snake oil , or does it really help the tranny run better /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif
    I just changed the filter and fluid in my 91 Jimmy with a 700R and added a bottle of it for the fun of it /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

2. TruckNutzDude

TruckNutzDude 1/2 ton status

I have never used Lucas transmission fix but I did use B&M's trick shift fluid when I had my 700R4. It made a pretty big difference from what it was with regular transmission fluid. If I still had an automatic that is what I would run in it. Other than the cooler and 4.88 gears it was my only mod to keep the trans. alive. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. four_by_ken

four_by_ken 1/2 ton status

Never used it, but curious about the engine oil additive also.

/forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

4. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

My friend is a fan of Lucas products,and he;s tried all the "mechanics in a can" stuff!.The parts stores here are getting good reveiws on their products too-their fuel system cleaner,the rack and pinion treatment,and engine oil supplement and tranny supplement are selling like hotcakes.
    I have a skeptical attitude towards any chemical fixes--only a few of the products I used actually worked. But one customer had a ford fairmont (a real POS!) that had a badly slipping tranny,finally one day it wouldnt pull away from the dunkin donuts drive thru--so he pushed it to the parts store lot next door--they sold him some Lucas tranny stuff,he added it and borrowed a floor jack from the tire shop my friend worked at next door and jacked the rear wheels up--he left it in drive fo several minites,and the back tires started slowly turning,and after about 5 minites it was upshifting normally--he put it in reverse and the same thing,it took several minites,but the tires started turning!.He let it down,brought the jack back and asked my friend how much to put in another tranny,and drove away!--he drove it 3 more weeks and it seemed ok,but the motor started smoking badly,so he decided to junk it--its one of the few times I've seen stuff like this actually work!.I heard of another guy using a whole gallon of Lucas oil treatment in his ford plow truck with zero oil pressure(its a yard truck,it NEVER moved the oil pressure gauge since he owned it--he thought it was broke)and it now reads 30lbs on the gauge when hot--but he might need 2 batteries to start it in the cold!.Many shops here like the Rack and Pinion treatment--its cured many a sticky GM rack they would have otherwise replaced--its good for a "beater" car you dont want to spend a lot of cash on for a few more miles. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

5. four_by_ken

four_by_ken 1/2 ton status

I am also very leary on any of the additives/gimmicks. But, for some reason this stuff has caught my eye.
    /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

6. joez

joez 1/2 ton status

I just put the oil additive in my 6.2. Oil pressure at idle went up 10 pounds, and 5 pounds on the highway. Quited the motor up too. Yesterday wheeling it idled all day long, and the gauge never dropped below 40 pounds. After seeing this stuff keep my freinds caddy alive for over a year, i decided id give it a try.

7. big jimmy 91

big jimmy 91 1/2 ton status

I asked a friend of mine about it last night and he used it to stop his caddy trans from slipping during the 2 to 3 shift
    It runs like brand new again so it can't hurt /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

8. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

I once dumped a bunch of silicone fluid into a hydraulic jack that was leaking fluid and wouldn't pressurize.

That was about 4 years ago, and the jack STILL works and doesn't leak.

From what I've seen/read/heard, whatever they are using in the tranny additives is something that softens and swells the seals.

Not really any way that can make things WORSE (if there are already problems evident) the way I look at it.