Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Does anyone know anyone that is running a newer truck with...

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by ZfromNJ, Oct 6, 2004.

1. ZfromNJ

ZfromNJ Registered Member

I am looking to run a newer truck (1990 K5 Blazer) to make it a full convertible? Does anyone know of anyone out there that has this. Or what about a 73-75 k5 blazer with all newer interior. Electric windows, and door locks, dash, thew works.

2. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

Steve(the owner of this site) is running a 90 K5 with the top cut off. Plus there are alot of guys on here that are running the 76+ K5's with the tops cut off. I imagine there are some running the other way like you say with the pre75's running newer interior.

To make a 90 full vert, you need to hack the roof, install a pre 75 windshield frame, cab the rails where the old roof was cut from the 1/4 panel(right behind the doors) and cut the top rails off your doors(and cap that also).. Thats a brief overview. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif And it would be best to add a cage or some type of body supports since the newer body tubs are not supported to be full 'vert... Older K5 that were fromt he factory full vert had extra supports under the tub..

3. 85mudblazin

85mudblazin 1/2 ton status

I like the look of the "newer" motel blazer, with the different headlights. Its really not thta hard to make it full conv. are you wanting to use the full top also or convertable all the time?? If you want to use the full top just get the windshiled frame off the old blazer and weld it in place the EXACT same was on the new blazer. Hope this made sense. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. 85mudblazin

85mudblazin 1/2 ton status

ahhh beat me to it /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

5. ZfromNJ

ZfromNJ Registered Member

Thanks Fellas. I think I might want to run a 73-75 blazer and just update the interior. I think the converting a newer blazer into a full convertible may be a bit too hard for me, but that would be Ideal. Does the second generation blazer compatible with a newer blazer interior or is ther a lot of modifications there too. Does anyone know of anyone that converts a 90ish blazer into a full convertible. I would be willing to pay for the services.

6. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

I think Yunit is over in Jersey. You may want to ask him if he'd help... Or I am sure any body shop could do it....

As far as the interior goes... The seats and all should swap. The door panels are a little different on the older K5's, but they may swap also. The dash, however, is a slightly different style wiht the older one being shallower around the gauages than the newer ones. And the carpet will fit the front, but the older k5's had a different rear floor design and the newer carpet wont fit the older(<76) since the floor wells where the passengers feet go are different..