Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Does anyone know if this engine will pass CA emissions???

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by bigblue, Mar 14, 2002.

1. bigblue

bigblue 1/2 ton status

SD330VTBI 330 HP Vortec TBI Truck Engine Assembly 330HP 375 torque
    scoggin dickey parts center

thanks...

2. Stomp

Stomp 1/2 ton status

Has to have all the smog stuff. Compressor, heat riser, EGR, Vapor recovery canister, cats and alot of other BS. I used to live in CA and thats one of the reason I moved

3. bigblue

bigblue 1/2 ton status

I would basicly be swapping it on my 87 that has all the smog stuff...So it would be OK?

4. Stomp

Stomp 1/2 ton status

I would think so.

5. Headbanger

Headbanger 1/2 ton status

If the engine you are putting in was an option for that vehicle or the same cu.in. as the engine coming out it should be ok as long as all the smog is there. If the engine is a totally different engine than was offered that year you will need to go through a Bureau of Automotive Repair referee to make sure the right stuff is on it.

6. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

It will pass fine. A new motor (even a HP motor) will put out less smog than a old motor.

JUST DON'T TELL THEM!!!!

7. tmanofcali

tmanofcali 1/2 ton status

no that motor will not pass according to the referee up here in nor. cal. . the vortec heads is what the problem is. you may want to call your local referee and ask personally, but thats what they told one of my friends. check it out before you do order it. i lucked out ....i have a 72 ...no smog for me.....if they ok it i would recomend that motor. thats what i have in mine and it moves good.later.....tmanofcali

8. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

That is the problem...you asked them...
    Vortec heads burn cleaner than the stock heads!

My theory:
    It is easier to get forgiveness than permission!
    What comes out the tail pipe is what the smog tech. guys will be worrying about...and stuff like your fuel cap, vacume lines, timing, etc... If you don't anounce "I have a modified motor" (like by puting on all that crome stuff) they won't care if it looks stock. Do you think the smog guy can tell the difference between your stock heads and vortecs?

9. tmanofcali

i bet they know that center bolt valve covers werent stock....that might make them picky. i dont know about the smog shops in your area, but here they look for that stuff. im just glad i have a first gen so i dont have to worry........lol

i just dont want to tell him "yes , go for it!!' and then he gets in trouble for it not being legal and gets pissed at us. better safe than sorry....just my opinion

later......tmanofcali

10. hoserr

hoserr Registered Member

yes, it'll be a direct engine replacement. trucks have very lenient smog requirements so it'll pass legally.

11. bigblue

bigblue 1/2 ton status

You know I am starting to get sick and tired of you 72 fellows always rubbing it in...It is a consistent thing around here....hehe Maybe I should join ya.........

There is another engine that is about 1000 bucks less expensive without the Vortech heads that puts out 300 / 350...I could go that route, but the Vortech heads are just plain cool as hell...

12. 87GMCJimmy

87GMCJimmy 1/2 ton status

Just so ya know center bolt valve covers are stock on an 87. This is the first year for them and the TBI.

13. tmanofcali

i thought 88 was the first year for them.....sorry my bad.

is what i would do is get to know a local smog guy and hopefully he likes you enough to not check the numbers onthe block. i had another friend that put in a stock 350 crate motor in a 74k5 and he had to go to the referee and even he wasnt gonna pass it because one hose was heater hose instead of smog tubing.he told us if we get some smog hose on there he will pass it. we looked everywhere for the hose......nobody had it. not even smog shops. so we went and bought a 1 foot chunk of heater hose and cut it just right so there was no wording on it. took it back and showed him and he said thats fine.......lol.

all im saying is the california smog guys can be real picky if they want to be. they can fail you even if the truck passes with flying colors. they did to my friend. also remember that they check your gas cap now so make sure its in good working order.

good luck on the project!!!

later........tmanofcali

14. rampage

rampage 1/2 ton status

Maybe this site will help ...
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.arb.ca.gov/aftermkt/aftermkt.exe> CA arb engine change</a>