Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Does anyone know...

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by colbystephens, Sep 28, 2005.

1. colbystephens

colbystephens 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

Hey. Does anyone know how much any given motor oil manufacturer requires before they will participate in a buy-back? What I'm getting at is that I know that lube shops and places like these sell their used motor oil back to their oil supplier, who then remanufactures it and then sells the newly clean oil. I just wonder how much the minimum would be. I guess I have this dream of saving up all the oil from my oil changes over the next 15 years and then sell it back and feel like the hassle was worth something. :) If you have any leads on where I could find this info - or if you have it, that would be great.

Colby Stephens.
    check out my video: http://web.pdx.edu/~colbys/the tear down.wmv

2. mikey_d05

mikey_d05 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

All our local shops burn it for heat in the winter.... :dunno:

3. colbystephens

ttt - i know it's been a while since this was posted, but i'm still curious. ;)

4. crazyhole812

crazyhole812 1/2 ton status

Buy a used oil burning heater for your shop or garage instead if you need heat in there

5. Leper

Leper 1/2 ton status

The 3 cents a gallon we get isn't really worth trying to store oil for that long. Take it to autozone or something.

6. colbystephens

man - 3 cents a gallon? that's a bummer. kinda shoots down my idea. oh well. maybe i will just resort to an oil burning heater as suggested. :)

7. GotLabs

GotLabs 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Will it work off of synthetic oil?

8. BadBob

BadBob 1/2 ton status

9. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

bring it back...

In MA,(and probably many other states),Anyplace that sells you oil,is required BY LAW to take the old oil back,in the same containers ,with a sales slip...

Used oil is practically worthless..its easy to get rid of free,(so far)--but the only people who are going to profit from it are those who have large scale reclamation capability,and re-sell it to wholesalers..or marinas that use it as bunker fuel for cargo ships..

I can give my used oil to a local greenhouse,that has waste oil heaters..or bring it to our landfill,they use it to heat the highway dept.garage..

(BTW,a lot of places with waste oil heaters are having problems with synthetics not burning well in them,and clogging them up..at least thats what I have been told--only the later versions seem to do well with synthetics mixed in ---buyer beware!)..

Saving used oil makes little sense..I keep a few gallons on hand to use for bar and chain oil on my chainsaws,or to get a balky wood stove going..but more than that,and you'll likely have a spill when the barrel tips over or rots out,and the EPA hands out hefty fines if you get caught with more than 5 gallons,and are in a residential area..

A guy I know got fined 100 bucks for leaving an oil filter he took off his car in his driveway for a week,when the nosey old biddy next door dropped a dime on him--she hated him fixing cars at his home..!(I admit he was a slob,and his yard looked like a junkyard..bit still,1qt. from a spilled filter== 100 bucks??)

I'd get rid of it while its still FREE to do so..pretty soon,some bean counter will realize they can make money by charging disposal fees..just like the ones tacked on the bottom of your bill at "Jiffy Lube"!..pretty sneaky,when they can CHARGE you to give them something they will sell AGAIN!..maybe even back to YOU,if you get your oil changed there!..:doah: :mad:

10. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

its a good thing i dont live in MA then, isnt it... :whistle:

we cant get rid of oil free around here anymore. unless of course, you set it outside certain establishments while they're not open, which i have seen people do.

11. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

Plenty available..

I'd like to find a way to use drain oil instead of diesel fuel!..or in my home furnace..I'd have a free lifetime supply!..but some genious will find a way before I do,and then used oil will cost almost as much as new...and they will probably charge us to get rid of it too!.:doah:

If you can burn "Veggie oil",why not "Motor Oil"??..both are flammable,and the only difference I see is the viscosity..some of that fryolator grease is pretty thick and nasty too though!?..It would be great if you could run your truck and heat your home with drain oil..my friend has 2 55 gallon drums full 90% of the time at his shop..:wink1: ..

I think its stupid to charge for disposal of many things..like trash,oil,batteries,tires,etc..it only encourages people to drive down dark dirt roads and dump the stuff..many times in state parks,or other sensitive environments..you see TV sets,and computer monitors tossed on the sides of the highways everywhere,since they started charging 25 bucks to "disopose" of them..A/C's and refridgerators too..

I asked if I could take a junk hot water heater to make a wood stove out of its tank at our landfill--they said "sure,come before 7 am--we get at least 2 every day..but it'll cost you 25 bucks if you want to dump one!"..so if I "gut" one,and bring the remains back,do I get charged??..I think thats what they meant!

But if I bring only "steel",the metal pile is free!..:screwy: arent water heaters made of steel??..no freon in them!..I think they charge many old people here,who don't know better, just to make beer money sometimes..:rolleyes: and hope they don't ask questions, or complain to anyone over their heads...

Our town charges 50 bucks a year for a "dump sticker",plus "tags" have to go on every bag of trash you toss..costs 7.50 for 5 tags!..
    We pay nearly $3800 a year in taxes..have NO town sewer(havent even got pipe in the street yet..maybe next year!)..no town water (we have a well)..No kids enrolled in the school system..we get NO trash collection(bring it ouselves to the landfill)...

So tell me again what our taxes pay for??..yes,maybe police and fire protection..lets see..I called the cops once about 18 years ago,and have NEVER called the fire dept,except to tell them the woods were burning a half mile away from my house,last summer...yeah..I guess it was worth it..:surepal: :thinking: