Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Does Anyone Know .....

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Neko H, Jun 2, 2000.

1. Neko H

Neko H Registered Member

Does anyone know if GM makes a tach that fits in the instrument pannel cluster that is small enough to fit where the clock usualy sits? I dont have a clock in mine so it is an empty spot and I would like to have a tach there. If so what it the GM Part number for the gauge and cables? And is this all I would need? Is it hard to install and set up.

Or will I have to replace the large gas gauge with a small one there (in place of the clock location) and use the large tach? If so What are the part numbers for this?

Neko H
    79 GMC Jimmy 4x4
    (If I'd only win the Lottery, it would be Cherry)

2. smack

smack 1/2 ton status

hey Neko, that's what I wanted to do,
    From what I've found there's never been a GM tack that small for our applications. Only the big one where the fuel gauge goes for older pickups. I was hoping to buy a small fuel guage -- which is available -- and buy the GM tach and stick it in the fuel guage spot. Only problem is that tach is REAL expensive. Therefore, I've never done it. Summit Racing and LMC are good sources for guages.
    Jason

3. Neko H

Neko H Registered Member

Sounds like a trip to the wrecking yards is in order then & hope I can find a working tach and a small fuel gauge.

Do you know if the cableing for the gas gauge will work off of the large guage on the small gauge and will it reach?

Neko H
    79 GMC Jimmy 4x4
    (If I'd only win the Lottery, it would be Cherry)

4. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

I heard it was a huge pain in the A$$ to swap out the giant gas gage for tach, but I might be wrong.

YEEE HAWWW[​IMG]

5. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

IF, and I mean IF you find a factory tach, you need the entire cluster including the wiring, etc. as the wiring printed circuit sheet is different than what you have now. At the same time, get the gas gauge, try to buy the whole cluster as a unit. The gas gauge and tach wiring is specific per wire circuit sheet.

'79 - 406 w/IROC TPI - K5#5 - a <font color=orange>sickness[​IMG] <font color=blue>you never get enough of!! [​IMG]

6. BillR

BillR 1/2 ton status

I think Autometer makes one that small. I've never seen a factory one that size.

Blazin' in Flagstaff

7. Brady

Brady 1/2 ton status

Summit has some small tach that might work.But why do you want a small tach its harder to see.I would get a 5" and either put it on the colunm or on the dash much eiser to see and keep track of the revs.Brady

8. PattBlue

PattBlue Registered Member

I 2nd what Brady said. I put a small/thin piece of metal on mine and slid it between the instrument panel cluster and the dashboard. Works good. I've also seen the column deal and that works.