Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

does anyone like there gov-lock?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 4trolls, Mar 6, 2005.

1. 4trolls

4trolls 1/2 ton status

does anyone like there gov-lock? is there a way to rebuild it a little better? does it ever really lock up? mine is a 14bff and the gov-lock isnt working, I was going to weld it up but if the gov-lock can be made to lock then I'll just rebuild it

2. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

I have a Gov-Lock in my 14 bolt. In the mud or on the street where the truck is on a level surface it works great. But if it leans a lot to one side it will only work half the time. When it locks in though it seems solid from one side to the other.

3. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

i love it in my dd truck for traction and easy tire wear for street . but yes if hard core all the time full locker would be in it.

4. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

mine works, and its better than an open diff. id throw it out if i had something else besides an open, or weld it if it wasn't my DD.

5. short sub

short sub Registered Member

i had one in my blazer- key word is HAD. while it was bone stock i left a red light and heard a loud boom and i felt it through the floor, my rear diff. was officially open after that. After looking at the axle- i discovered a crack on top the 10b housing the gov lock literally exploded and broke the housing in the process. over the years i have seen quiet a few gov locks go wrong so i would try something else if possible

6. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

My gov lok works fine when I'm on even ground where traction is nearly the same on both sides. It is probably worn out. I would definantly consider a brand new gov lok for my 14BFF if I was going to rebuild my rear end for some reason.

Short sub,

The gov lok in your 10B is weak like you mentioned, it's the same with a 12B also but they are much stouter in a 14BFF.

7. RustBuket

RustBuket 1/2 ton status

I've heard the 1 ton versions are pretty strong. I blew up my gov-lock in my 12 bolt this winter doing some high RPM wheel spin in snow. My diff is just open now. I'm switching in a 14 bolt this spring with a gov-lock. I really notice the difference now without the locker. When I spin, I spin in a straight line.... its not as fun.

8. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Do you understand how they actually work?

I've not heard of a 14FF gov-lock blowing up. Of all three common GM diff sizes, the 14FF is the only one that doesn't seem to have problems.

9. RustBuket

RustBuket 1/2 ton status

The gov-lock works by "sensing" difference of wheel speed between the two axles. When the difference is great enough some sort of ratchet or something locks up the axles. This is a problem because the inertia of the tires creates alot of stress on parts by shockloading. 1/2 ton diffs just aren't up to the task generally if you get any wheelspeed going on.

10. 4trolls

4trolls 1/2 ton status

no ,I dont know how they actually work, could someone tell me?

11. TrcksR4ME

TrcksR4ME 1/2 ton status

They don't seem to grenade, but when I took mine apart it was no longer functional. The governor mechanism which has these gears n teeth n whatnot seem to strip out rather easily. Once the governor no longer works neither does the gov-lock, leaving you with an open diff. Mine is now welded, no more problems :D

http://www.krazyk5.com

http://community.webshots.com/user/trcksr4me
    http://community.webshots.com/user/trcksr4me2

12. dyeager535

13. skelly1

skelly1 1/2 ton status

Is the governor lock what is in my 2001 Yukon XL 4WD? If so, it doesn't work well. The wife got it stuck today in my grass lawn.

14. supersize75k5

supersize75k5 OrganDonorRacing.com

lol

I killed one from a 1 ton 14 bolt..but that can be exspected if I was behind the wheel:dunno:

:D

mine went BOOM

I had to drive home on the front shaft, in 2wd I could put it in gear and get out and watch my rear drivehaft spin:crazy:

15. txfiremank5

txfiremank5 1/2 ton status

I like mine... My daily driver (97 Z71 w/ 4" & 33's) has a gov in the rear, and I like well enough. Now, when I got the 14 & 60 for my K5, then yeah, no doubt a DL was going in the 14... I ended up getting a DL for the front too. But, for my DD, the gov gets it done.

16. ntsqd

ntsqd 1/2 ton status

My 14bff Gov-Loc came to me with the teeth stripped off. From looking at the design I can see where some wheel speed b4 engagement could easily kill those tiny little parts. Excellent concept, flawed execution.

17. dyeager535

I guess I just hadn't heard of the 14FF problems.

I can vouch for the 14SF being the same way...the small teeth just aren't a strong part, and never can be. Even a chip of metal running through those gears could very possibly strip a few teeth off, rendering it less than 100% effective.

It is certainly an excellent idea, just too bad they couldn't beef up the operating parts of it better. I have never had the chance to look at a 14FF, I just assumed that since they *seemed* to hold up better, that the design (due to the carrier) was different and thus stronger. Well, stronger being relative apparently. :)

18. mtnman

mtnman Scrap metal fabricator Premium Member

I've blown up 2 14blt gov locks - 1 sf 1 ff. Same technique, lots of tire spin + sudden traction = grenaded gov lock

19. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

Yeah, but i have also seen how you drive too :D :p: :wink1:

20. k5 krawler 50

k5 krawler 50 1/2 ton status

are there any available clutch kits that allow the gov-lock to act more like a locker, or that make them more sensitive?