Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Does anyone make 10 deg. shims........

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by FRIZZLEFRY, Apr 9, 2002.

1. FRIZZLEFRY

FRIZZLEFRY 1/2 ton status

........besides me.Im making some out of aluminum right now till I get my rear pinion angle figured out.The shims will be bolted to the spring pack.If 10 deg. works I will make some out of steel.If 10 deg. dont fix my vibe,Im plunkin down the cash for a CV rear shaft.

The biggest shims I see are 6 deg. Is there a reson for that?

2. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

The bigger the shim the less of the center bolt going through the perch. I'd be concerned the center bolt would see too much stress with a 10 degree shim bolted up to the spring. As a temporary measure to get your pinion angle dialed in it would work I guess.

Rene

3. marv_springer

marv_springer 1/2 ton status

Frizz,

I've never heard of a 10* shim. I would think that past 6* the thing might want to spit out of place so bad that it might not be a good thing.

Long term, I think a good CV shaft is the way to go.

Marv

4. FRIZZLEFRY

FRIZZLEFRY 1/2 ton status

I only had to fool with my 12 bolt a little to get the angle right but this 14 bolt is kickin my a$$ /forums/images/icons/crazy.gif.Iv made 3 sets of shims to try and get rid of this vibe.I was setting up the mill to make the 10s and said "SCREW THIS".

I just got off the phone with Jesse at High Angle and Im just gonna order CV drive shaft.Gonna go home tonight ,get the pinoin pointing straight at the t case,take a measurement,and order it tomorrow.It will be $$ well spent if I never have to fool with the freakin angle again /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

Thanks for the input guys /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

5. arq

arq 1/2 ton status

does the pinion on the pumpkin have to point strait at the CV when putting one in? or can it point anywhere it wants??

ARQ.

6. marv_springer

marv_springer 1/2 ton status

w/ a CV shaft, it should point directly at the x-fer case. I left mine pointing a little lower cuz the axle will rotate up during acceleration.

Marv