Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Does anyone make one?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by BlazerWheels, Dec 17, 2003.

1. BlazerWheels

BlazerWheels 1/2 ton status

I know for the Newer model GM Trucks there are chips to increase performance, mileage, etc. Does anyone make a chip/ECM replacement for an '85??? Just wondering... /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

2. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

They do, but they are worthless. They typically advance timing, which requires premium fuel, and increase performance only slightly, if at all.

You'd get a lot more fun out of something like headers, better exhaust, different cam, etc.

3. 83ZZ502_Jimmy

83ZZ502_Jimmy 1/2 ton status

Just checked JET and hypertech... I didn't see one. I suspect its due to the carburetor.

John

4. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

umm I'd like to see the computer in your 85, aka there shouldn't be one. Hard to put a chip in a computer that isn't there. Hmm I have heard Cali trucks had computers, anyone confirm and what the heck did it do?

5. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

Actually 85's did have a primitive form of computer in them to sense knocks in the motor and decrease timing. Electronic Spark Control or ESC. My 85 had the computer under the dash and the knock sensor on the passengers side of the block. They were carburorated but they DID have a computer. And FYI 86's had a computer controlled carb.

6. keith

keith 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I suspect its due to the carburetor.

[/ QUOTE ] /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

7. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

ESC is an ignition thing my 84 with 305 came with it as well. I eliminated it. Its not really that much of a computer, doesn't control much so no chip for it.

8. rockink5

rockink5 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    umm I'd like to see the computer in your 85, aka there shouldn't be one. Hard to put a chip in a computer that isn't there. Hmm I have heard Cali trucks had computers, anyone confirm and what the heck did it do?

[/ QUOTE ]
    85 Blazers and Jimmies in california had ECMs. Carb, distributor and emissions are all controlled by it. Even have a check engine light.

9. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
    85 Blazers and Jimmies in california had ECMs. Carb, distributor and emissions are all controlled by it. Even have a check engine light.

[/ QUOTE ]

ESt was not just cali thing, it was national thing, it is an engine electronic spark timing control module, looks like a smaller version of TBI ECM

all since 1980 cept 3/4 ton GVW and mostly 305 engines, but you couldnt get 350 in 1/2 ton for most of the 80s anyways, so..

this subject is very misunderstood by most ppl

bottom line is that the system is simply EST, electronic spark timing, it is a basic HEI engine timing system, involves electronic controlled Q jet and HEI and no more than that except a coupel of TVS's and alot of vacuum hoses everywhere all over the engine and a knock sensor and in most cases no vacuum advance and about half with a MAP sensor and O2 sensor,. but not all, look at your emissions label under hood.

10. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

[ QUOTE ]

this subject is very misunderstood by most ppl

[/ QUOTE ]

And you are one of them.

If the carb has a mixture control solenoid, please explain how it is not computer controlled? If it's not an ECM, what is it? It certainly doesn't use ESC to control mixture. /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

I've got the '85-86 parts manual scan of the CCC Q-jet used in CA applications if you need to have proof to believe and understand that trucks DID get CCC some years.