Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Does anyone own a 208 that DOESN'T leak?!?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by COCHEV, Sep 17, 2003.

1. COCHEV

COCHEV 1/2 ton status

Does anyone own a 208 that DOESN\'T leak?!?

i've replaced both output seals and now it leaks out where the gear sellector bolts on. Grrrrrrr. i love cleaning my undercarage only to have my rear axle, frame and drive shaft covered with a fine film of ATF. /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

2. camiswelding

camiswelding 1/2 ton status

Re: Does anyone own a 208 that DOESN\'T leak?!?

hasnt ever leaked a drop... took the driveshaft out for the one ton conversion and I see the rear seal is now dry and brittle... so Ill try a new seal.. I hate leaks so I hope it stays dry in the future,,,
    are you lubricating your seals before installing them,, if you dont then sometimes they "burn" a little then theyll leak for sure... a dab of bearing grease etc works great
    cam

3. slimlynn1

slimlynn1 1/2 ton status

Don't worry about it, it keeps the rust off and its easier to wash the mud off.

4. Mastiff

Mastiff 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Mine always leaks, but not enough to really get anyplace. A little through the case halves and a little out the shaft.

It also occasionally blows out the breather. I have no idea why it does this and nobody anywhere can explain why it might be happening. /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

5. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

I have 2 that dont leak and a 241 that doesn't. Must just be yours! /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. yellowK20

yellowK20 Well Lubricated Premium Member GMOTM Winner

My don't but thats cuz theres no fluid in it anymore /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

7. NerdBoy

NerdBoy 1/2 ton status

Mine didn't until the seal between the transmission and the case went out. It overfilled the case, and the seals started leaking. It really didn't take much time or money to drop the case and replace all the seals. And, now, it's back to not leaking again.

8. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

EVERY aluminum case leakes. My friend bought a '99 Dodge Ram 1500 a few years ago with 18,000 miles on it. Guess what? It leaked!!!!!

I dunno what it is, but I've never seen one that didn't leak. If someone tells you theres doesn't leak, just check out under their rig. It leaks, they just don't know it yet.

9. Mastiff

[ QUOTE ]
    Mine didn't until the seal between the transmission and the case went out. It overfilled the case, and the seals started leaking. It really didn't take much time or money to drop the case and replace all the seals. And, now, it's back to not leaking again.

[/ QUOTE ]

I wonder if this could explain why I'm slinging oil sometimes. Is there any way to tell the seal is bad without taking it all apart?

10. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Pull the *fill* plug. If fluid pours out, and you had it filled correctly before, you know that the seal is bad.

My 465/205 seal went bad, started "weeping" fluid out of the front and rear outputs...obviously just until the tranny and transfercase fluid levels equalized again, because it's not constant...the fluid in the transmission never drops below a certain level from what I can tell.

11. wrathORC

wrathORC 1/2 ton status

Mine leaks between the case halves behind the torque arm. It's slowly getting worse. I think I'm going to try putting a vacuum to the case and sucking in some sealer next time I get a chance. I'll eventually fix it the right way when I replace the chain.

12. MEPR

MEPR 1/2 ton status

my fords 208 has never leaked in the 8 years we have owned it. but then u ntill now it was just used to pull a trailer and never wheeled so that might be a factor. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

13. Mastiff

[ QUOTE ]
    Pull the *fill* plug. If fluid pours out, and you had it filled correctly before, you know that the seal is bad.

[/ QUOTE ]

I wonder if inclines can make this problem better or worse. The last time I had oil out the breather I had been parked on a hill for a while. Maybe the oil slowly drained into the T-case, then was overfull and blew out on the drive home... /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

14. Mastiff

[ QUOTE ]
    Mine leaks between the case halves behind the torque arm. It's slowly getting worse. I think I'm going to try putting a vacuum to the case and sucking in some sealer next time I get a chance. I'll eventually fix it the right way when I replace the chain.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a different subject, but what are the symptoms of a loose chain?

15. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

A skipping sound in 4wd.

16. crazykev4x4

crazykev4x4 1/2 ton status

mine does not leak . grease your seals up when u install them .halves bolt together u can get some anorobic sealer im not sure how to spell it anyways Gm sells it it is red in color and does not need air to cure like RTV the servive manual calls for the special sealer for transfer case assembly

Kevin /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

17. wrathORC

wrathORC 1/2 ton status

A clunking sound in 4low that reminds you of tires rubbing on the front fenders.

Mine does it when zipping around in sand with the stupid pedal to the floor at high speeds in second gear. It won't do it in 4high or at low speeds in 4low.

To test it, just find some sand and put her in 4low. Take off moderately hard and if it doesn't clunk repeatedly try a little harder. Eventually you might have to hold 'er in second gear to get 'er to clunk. It usually requires the chain to be floating (spinning fast) for it to slip.

It needs to have a stout load on it to get it to skip too. I've tried on gravel and couldn't get it to do it either because the truck would just keep accelerating.

18. chosen1

chosen1 Registered Member

Yeh, Mine don't leak "yet" on my 84 Jeep J20 Pick up truck. It's got 86,000 miles on it. /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

19. COCHEV

COCHEV 1/2 ton status

from what i can tell, mine leaks right out where the shifter bolts on. a good shop told me that there is an o-ring in there but you have to pull the shift arm out of there to replace it and to do that you have to split the case. so then i might as well re seal the whole beeatch /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif