Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Does anyone ride? (dirtbikes)

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by K5MONSTERCHEV, Apr 17, 2005.

1. K5MONSTERCHEV

K5MONSTERCHEV 1/2 ton status

I have been thinking about how other forums such as Pirate hava a Motorcycle, ATV thread. I think it would be cool to have a thread because I know personally I have had a few questions myself.

Sooo...Does anyone here ride dirtbikes? Just curious so if I have some questions I know who to PM.

I have a 2003 KX 125 that I just rebuilt the top and bottom end, but cant ride because I need a new radiator, but cant afford one because, as you may know, dirt bike parts are made of gold, lol.

Oh I also have a 2004 CRF 50! :D

2. Ruthven13

Ruthven13 1/2 ton status

I ride a KLR 650, so sort of! :grin:

3. 2Dogs

2Dogs 1/2 ton status Premium Member

My wife and I ride. Less in the last year because of the kiddo but it is still my favorite sport.

You can have motorcycle radiators repaired - is it completely squished?

4. K5MONSTERCHEV

HAHA, well. It was patched once before, so I wanted somehting more then a patch. My boss was going to weld it when the pedal on the TIG went out. SO the other guy that works there said to solder it, ok. My dad (hes a HVA/C tech) gets the flux, solder and torch. I start at it, he motions me to hand him the torch, BAD IDEA!!! He had the flame way to close and, well , burned a bit of the tube away. I was like "DAD!!!!!!" Evidently he'd only soldered copper before, lol, not aluminum. I tried to JB weld it now, but its worse, I need a new one, oh its crushed too, lol.

5. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

ive been riding dirtbike for 16 years (im 21) and have been racing for 8 years. ive been working on my bikes for 10 years or so. anyone whos been to my house knows that we like our bikes, we have about 10 of them.

i ride a 98 cr500, but i blew it up good on the dunes and its gonna cost a bit to fix ($600 easy with a sponsorship from the local honda dealership) this year i think im gonna take a break racing and just trail ride my bike and my truck.

6. Cricket

Cricket 3/4 ton status

Used to ride a lot, last bike was a YZ-490.

Have not ridden in about 10 years now.

7. 2Dogs

2Dogs 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Good story about torching the rad :D

Have you tried a cycle salvage place? Might be worth a try if the OEM units are expensive.....

8. dhcomp

dhcomp 3/4 ton status Premium Member

Awesome, im looking for a deal on a Honda 50. I thought i had a 90's one lined up for like $200, but the deal fell through.

Just waiting for the right deal now so i can cruise around on one at our waterski tournaments!

9. odoa3

odoa3 1/2 ton status

I have a 96 XR 250. Great for when I get frustrated with Blazer or run out of funds for the build. I think a Bedtoys section would be great. Bikes and ATV in the summer and sleds in the winter. Good idea! :thumb:

10. K5MONSTERCHEV

Thanks, glad you liked it.

Salvage places, yeah, haha. 2003 seems to be too new.

I see you live in Davis.
    You have to buy a old used one or willing to spend some cash? They have those knock off 50s now, $500.

11. dhcomp

dhcomp 3/4 ton status Premium Member

Yah, i know, i doubt i'll buy one now. But if i happen on the right deal....we'll see

Whats your opinion on those knock-offs?

My major concerns are availablity of parts and resale.

If the parts are interchangeable, ok, but i know the damn thing won't be worth anythign if i turn around and try to sell it.

12. jekquistk5

jekquistk5 Weld nekid Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I have a 89 RM125 just rebuilt the top end, and new clutch. I have about 600 into it and have only run it about 3 total hours.
    Anyone wanna take this thing off my hands.. I'm a broke college studen't that needs to pay off some debt. If anyone needs a cheap bike to get into PM me

13. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

ebay is good for parts. and jb weld is bad for a part that heats and contracts alot . it wont move the same as the other stuff its on. and is a big pain in the to get off and fix correctly.

i am no good on 2 wheels so i stick to my 4 wheels . i have a 92 4x4 honda 300 with plow. and for big play time i have a 87 suzuki ly500r quadzilla . and when its cold out and snowing i put on the snow kit and it flys threw the snow just as good as dirt.

14. muddysub

muddysub 1 ton suburban status Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

i ride a 2004 polaris predator... im into quads bikes are cool but i think theyre kinda played out compared to sportquads.

[​IMG]

15. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

I ride dirt bikes. I have been riding for about 35 years now. Raced MX and Desert when I was younger. Owned many kinds of dirt bikes
    Dont race anymore. Too hard on my old bones. I'm just content to blast across the desert my old Yamaha IT 490. I tried riding 4 wheelers but they just weren't as fun as my dirt bikes.
    Planning on going for a ride this weekend. prolly do a nice 50 or 60 mile putt.

16. Resurrection_Joe

Resurrection_Joe 1 ton status

What's a good, cheap, and fairly reliable bike? 250 or more