Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Does anyone run a welded diff. or spool on the street??

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by stangfootball34, Oct 23, 2004.

1. stangfootball34

stangfootball34 Registered Member

Just wondering how many if any guys out there run spools or welded differentials in there daily driven rigs? And how bad does it really suck?

2. mrk5

mrk5 The Sticker Guy Moderator Vendor GMOTM Winner Author

I've been thinking about a mini spool in my 12b. There's a lot of reading if you do a search. This has been debated several times.

But, I'm also interested in hearing some new opinions on this topic.

3. stangfootball34

stangfootball34 Registered Member

Ya I know there is quit a bit on this topic but I was looking to steer it more in a way of can you weld it up with the limited slip crap in there or can you just take it out and then weld it up I really have no clue /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

4. walla2k5

walla2k5 1/2 ton status

Don't know about the limeted slip,but I ran my '73 p-up welded front and back for years without a problem.I also wasn't driving much on the street,just chirped the tires around corners,got peoples attention... /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

5. cybrfire

cybrfire 1 ton status Vendor GMOTM Winner

I did it and its annoying as all hell. Noticably makes the truck work harder unless your going in a perfect straight line which seldom happens.

6. ronnny3

ronnny3 Registered Member

was it still or did it have the 44/12 bolt axles and what size tires? /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

7. Poohbair

Poohbair 1/2 ton status

I used mine as a daily driver for several months w/ a welded 14bolt... its not that bad. It definetly chirps the tires ALOT... you can't pull into the gas station or a parking spot w/o getting a few looks. It is a little harder on tires than a standard locker, but not that much. I recently took out my welded 14blt and put in a welded D70. NO biggie.

8. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

i found it was noticably harder on tires than a Detroit...and a lot more annoying. I ran a welded 14 with 36" TSL's for two years on the street. The Detroit makes the truck a lot more civilized...

Rene

9. nomo4x4

nomo4x4 Guest

I ran a welded 10 bolt with 3.73's and 31" tires and blew it up 3 times as a daily driver...Which is why I need another rear end right now...I'd recomend against it! It really sucks in parking lots, a lot of frame twist and binding issues when the tires have traction (pavement) if it were on dirt or soft ground then it's fine, because the inside tire can spin around a turn, but if it can't spin on a tight corner, its just going to break over and over like mine. Good luck.
    Zak

10. TruckNutzDude

TruckNutzDude 1/2 ton status

I welded my 14 bolt a few months ago and I'm waiting to install my 5.13 gears before I can run it. I'll have 44" TSL's and an SM465 so I'm sure the binding issue will be there. I don't really care though, I had a detroit with 36's and an automatic and it chirped the tires around corners most of the time anyways. I had the old school detroit though, not one of these newer "soft lockers" /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

11. spoolnaround

spoolnaround 1/2 ton status

I rarely run mine on the street unless its to the trail but yes it makes noise and wears the tires.