Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Does anyone rus a manual valve body on an auto

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by AnthonyG, Mar 17, 2003.

1. AnthonyG

AnthonyG 1/2 ton status

I was wondering if anyone does this or how it would work for wheeling. I prefer the auto but would like to be able to have any gear at any time

2. Ryan B.

Ryan B. 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

http://coloradok5.com/forums/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=blazer4x4&Number=631885&Forum=All_Forums&Words=manual%20valve%20body&Match=Entire%20Phrase&Searchpage=0&Limit=25&Old=1year&Main=631609&Search=true#Post631885

I have the TCI reverse shifting full manual valve body in my camaro. I love it in a street/strip car. No engine braking in 1st or 2nd gear, makes downshifting at WOT killer. Constantly shifting that "automatic" though. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif
    For off road I'd go with the art carr valvebody because i've read it retains the compression braking which you would want for off road situations. /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif
    I put a B&M stage 2 in my blazers th350 and love it also. Chirps 2nd a lot. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif I can still leave it in 3rd and it'll shift for me but have nice shifts.

/forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

/forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

3. 8_YOUR_H2

8_YOUR_H2 1/2 ton status

I run a turbo action cheeta full manual valve body in mine and it will shift smooth going slow or with your foot out of the gas. But if you have the hammer down its whiplash time!!! The shifts are immediate and hard. I couldnt use it as my DD it shifts so hard.

I can get a 2nd gear scrach with 38's /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

4. CK5

CK5 In my underwear Administrator Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

I run an Art Carr reverse manual valve body with compression braking in a semi built TH400 in front of a doubler, don't think I would do it for a daily driver but for off-road it's awesome. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. lt61173

lt61173 1/2 ton status

what is the difference between forward & reverse patern?

6. CK5

Instead of the standard PRN321 it is PRN123 that way when your wheeling in 1st gear (most tuff spots) N is just a click away or R is 2 spots away instead of 4.

7. AnthonyG

AnthonyG 1/2 ton status

steve were did you get it? how much?

8. CK5

9. willyswanter

willyswanter 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

You mentioned that you wouldn't want it on the street... What are the downsides to this on a daily driver? I'm speaking of the manual valve body.

10. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

I'd like to know also, it seems that it would be the same as having a manual sans clutch, if of course you have a floor shifter... /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

11. 75-K5

75-K5 3/4 ton status

i have a regular manual valve body in my '75 th350. it's on the column, but it's still kinda fun to drive with. it sure makes people wonder what the heck im doing when i shift it, and i can never explain how it works. i usually tell them it's like the new "auto-stick" or "clutchless manual" transmissions they have on some high-end cars, hehe /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif. and my k5 is a 75% daily driver and a once-every-couple-months wheeler and i think the valve body does well on the road. i like having control over my shifts. i'd really like to have a sm465, though, but this is enough to tide me over until that day comes.

bottom line: i like it /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

12. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

To Do List for Life:
    1. Ride a Hippo at a rodeo
    2. Threesome with Japanese twins
    3. Install manual valvebody... /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

13. marv_springer

marv_springer 1/2 ton status

Ha!

/forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

My list too has the twins ahead of the valve body /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Marv

14. Lonnie

Lonnie 1/2 ton status

Benefits....
    1. 2nd gear starts on slippery surfaces (useful in a car, not sure if ever needed in a 4x4)
    2. positive gear selection
    3. Instant shifts (no delay)

Disadvantages...
    1. Runs full line pressure at all times (hard on front pump)
    2. Voilent shifts (can break driveline components in a DD)
    3. Hard to shift unless running an aftermarket shifter (manually shifting a column shift is crude at best)

Alternate...
    Use a shift kit that allows automatic shifting with smooth shifts at part throttle. Modifications will allow downshifting at any speed & also will stay in 1st or 2nd gear at any speed until shifted. This way you can manually hold any gear at any speed while still allowing normal shifting on the road in drive. Keep the manual valve bodies for racing where they belong.

15. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

[ QUOTE ]
    To Do List for Life:
    1. Ride a Hippo at a rodeo
    2. Threesome with Japanese twins
    3. Install manual valvebody... /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Killing me! /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

16. dubl_t

dubl_t 1/2 ton status

ok, if a guy had a manual valve body and a lockup converter, could he push start his truck? and is a lockup converter available for a 350 or 400?

17. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

Still can't push start it. The pump (which provieds the force to lock up the clutches) is in the front of the motor.

18. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

[ QUOTE ]
    1. 2nd gear starts on slippery surfaces (useful in a car, not sure if ever needed in a 4x4)

[/ QUOTE ] Ford trannies have done this for years, right from the factory. My '78 and '79 F-150's both had this feature. The 4L60E in my wife's '94 Sub also does it. It's useful even with a 4WD! /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif I've been on icy hills in her Sub where I couldn't get the truck to start moving in 1st without breaking all 4 tires loose. Shifting to 2nd reduced the torque to the tires enough to drive right up. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

The shift kit in my Turbo 400 lets me hold 1st and 2nd for as long as I want, but it still shifts like a normal automatic when in Drive. But it doesn't have the start-in-second feature. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif It will also downshift at any speed, so I have to be careful not to over-rev the engine when downshifting. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

I like the set-it-and-forget-it mode most of the time. I think the "coolness" of shifting every shift would get tiresome quickly on a daily driver.