Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Does anyone use a gasket?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by BozoWise, May 13, 2002.

1. BozoWise

BozoWise 1/2 ton status

What do you guys use on your diff covers? Should I get a gasket or just use RTV on them (44 and 14 FF) If I use RTV which kind should I use? Should I put it on the cover and the diff, etc. etc,

2. FWP

FWP CRS

I use RTV and a gasket, makes it easy to remove the debris from the cover and diff when you take it back off. I put a very thin coat of Permatex Ultra black on both sides of the gasket.

3. UseYourBlinker

UseYourBlinker 1 ton status

I use nothing but RTV. I've found the gasket's (in my case) alway's leak!! Not anymore though...

4. FWP

FWP CRS

They leak with a gasket and RTV? That's wild, I wonder why? The only thing I can think of is the cover is bent? Just curious dude.

5. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

I always try to use a good quality gasket without anything else. As many times as we have to go into these things, that makes it easier if you can get it to seal. Both my front and back axles are like this now and they do not leak. I've been into that front about 4, maybe 5 times since I put the new gasket on. As long as the cover's have not been over torqued, a good gasket will do the trick. If I ever have problems with the raw gasket sealing, I'll use Permatex Black with a gasket like Fred suggested.

6. Derf00

Derf00 1/2 ton status

Clean both surfaces and RTV.

7. KRAZIE87K5

KRAZIE87K5 1/2 ton status

Just put my axles together with Ultra Black RTV... and the darn things BOTH leaked by the time I put 1500 miles on them! /forums/images/icons/frown.gif So now I've gotten gaskets from Napa, and new 3m sealant to try out... I REALLY hope this seals them, I've lost over $80 in perfectly good oil... /forums/images/icons/mad.gif so this had better solve the problem!

-Dan

8. UseYourBlinker

UseYourBlinker 1 ton status

I guess I just depends on your luck /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

9. chris672

chris672 1/2 ton status

My brother just got his rear end rebuilt and he asked if they used a gasket because it wasnt on the bill and they just used RTV.

10. 70~K5

70~K5 1/2 ton status

If the cover is dimpled in at the bolt holes then take the ball end of a ball pein hammer center it over the hole and tap it with another hammer.

11. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

BTW, my earlier post is talking about dedicated (or majority use) trail rigs that are "gone into" frequently. It was meant as a sort of contrast to the normal “glue everything” approach, but I guess I was not clear. Seems like some people misunderstood that I was suggesting not using sealer on "normal" duty rigs. That's not what I meant, I’m talking about different applications. If I pop the lid on my Ram, it will get a gasket with Super Black. That would be a case where I would expect to button it up and (hopefully) never go in again. My K30 is not that way. Seems like I'm in it every other week end so far between cleaning the water contamination out (2 times in), putting the locker in, and then the seals. God I hope that’s the end of it, at least till I do 5.13s or something breaks...

12. ChevBlazin

ChevBlazin 1/2 ton status

I've used the cork gaskets, they have never leaked and I hate goofing around with the messy sealant if I dont have to anyway. I'm putting my 12 bolt in soon, the stock cover was rusted badly and I cant seem to find a nice factory steel one (the salvage yard i go to will not sell diff covers as well as oil pans and tranny pans, any ideas on why?, I cant figure it out) so I ordered a chrome one. Do I need to use any special sealer to make the chrome seal?

13. bigmack

bigmack 1/2 ton status

I always use blue or black Permatex with no gasket. I have never had a leak. If your covers are straight and in good condition, you will not have any leaks.

14. SkulzNBonz

SkulzNBonz 1/2 ton status

Clean surfaces and red Permatex on the cover(s). No leaks. Might be the the only place on my truck that doesn't leak /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif!!!!!

John

15. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

gaskets and no sealant here.
    I may put a few drops of weatherstrip adhesive to hold the gasket to the cover to make it easier to bolt on.
    I hate scrapping up all the silli putty that people goop on for no reason.
    it seems to glog the filter on the solvent tank

16. Leadfoot

Leadfoot 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I agree with m j. I only use gaskets (unless I don't have one and RTV is ALL I have, might be the case for people on the trail). Alot depends on the condition of the cover and the housing. Housings rarely warp, but if a good rock were to hit it, it could chunk/deform/indent/etc., and if the cover is warped/damaged/etc. a gasket may not work. A gasket is only made to take up so much tolerance. RTV can be gobbed to take up the extra tolerance, but I prefer to get a good cover or fix the existing one. I hate the paper-thin chrome covers, but the one on my front 10 bolt on the 78 was one of those. The Previous Owner put on a layer of RTV, gasket, another layer of RTV, a second gasket, and then a third layer of RTV to get it to seal and cranked the snot out of the bolts. It didn't leak but was way overkill, not to mention a PITA to clean and I hate scraping/cleaning RTV/Silicone. The cover was warped to $hit around the bolt holes (frickin thin chrome covers). I tried to find my old stock cover (couldn't find it from my 80), so I spent 15-20 min. fixing the old cover (soft jawed vice/ and rubber mallet). I made it so the area around the bolt holes were actually a little further away from the face of the pumpkin (as opposed to flush stock, or pulled in after over cranking the bolts). I used one stock gasket from NAPA, cleaned both surfaces well with a die-grinder (with a Scotch-Brite pad) and then washed with brake cleaner. Installed gasket, bolts, tightening in a criss-cross pattern, and no leaks what so-ever. If I had a chip in the face of the pumpkin or cover, then I would probably use RTV, but only in that area.
    Sometimes I use a dab to hold the gasket in place, but usually I will use a small dab of wheel bearing grease to do the same thing.

This is just my experience with cover gaskets. You can use RTV, but use only as much as necessary. It's not a good idea to glob it as it can get caught in bearings or oiling passages (motor, tranny, axles, t-cases, etc.). To each his own, and whatever works 4 U. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

17. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

a question for RTV users... whatdya to on the trail if you need to get in the diff to check things out? I mean... that RTV stuff has to cure before you use it right? If so, when you put the cover back on.. on trail... how well would that work? seems like if RTV was the cool way to go... it might pay to have a cheap spare gasket in the spare parts box just in case....

J

18. SkulzNBonz

SkulzNBonz 1/2 ton status

The RTV does have a stated cure time, but every time (about every two months) that I have changed my gear oil, I just run a bead around the cover and bolt holes and put the cover back on. Then I fill it w/ oil and drive it around to get all the parts lubed up. I don't think it has ever set longer than a 1/2 hour from installation to driving, w/ no leaks.

John

19. TrcksR4ME

TrcksR4ME 1/2 ton status

I found it is easier to remove the cover if you use a gasket and like ultra black. I had mine serviced and they only used RTV on it and the damn thing was a real PITA to get off after that, it certainly was sealed well though. Cover was no longer straight after removal however.